Cromwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
This was last reviewed in 1994. Shown on TV last week I was reminded how much I really enjoyed it. It is a very fair view of the historical events that saw Oliver Cromwell planning to leave for America only to become embroiled in the civil war. (John Owen went on to become chaplain to Oliver Cromwell)

The agonising over bringing the reigning monarch to court on a charge of treason is well played. Much agonising and soul searching.

For me the turning point is Cromwell hanging one of his friends for mutiny, (incitement to hang the King), he valiantly defends the king who he believes is at last seing sense. He then receives news that the king is playing him for a fool and making pacts with the Scots (that's me historically if not theologically) and Rome. Turning he finds his friend dead - the die is cast from thence (as far as the film goes).

Highly recommended, intensely emotional but does not seem to have the extended battle scenes I recall from the last time I watched it.

P.S. Can anyone explain the roles intended by the Puritans respectively for the House of Commons and the House of Lords? (not what they have degenerated into)

Arguably my favorite movie. Interesting how the theology of the Puritans led them to regicide while we claim to be Puritan theology today, yet we balk at that move.

Fellows,

I just purchase this movie and John Wycliffe (The Morning Star). I will be watching Cromwell tonight. Both DVD's

My favorite scene is when Cromwell tells Lord Manchester his plans for a New Model Army.

"This war will not be won by untrained ploughman...but by men with fire in their belly who fear the Lord and not the enemy! I am returning to Cambridge to raise such an army, with or without your permission, my Lord Manchester."

Arguably my favorite movie. Interesting how the theology of the Puritans led them to regicide while we claim to be Puritan theology today, yet we balk at that move.

They were not monolithic in favor of it by any means. Some Puritans were cavaliers and the covenanters If I recall correctly were against it as well.

They were not monolithic in favor of it by any means. Some Puritans were cavaliers and the covenanters If I recall correctly were against it as well.

True enough, especially since Cromwell kicked out all the Presbyterians out of Parliament (which I argue was his smartest move). But this also follows the "covenanting" discussion in one of the 2 million theonomy threads. My point was the overall outlook of Reformed people is different today. We have been Americanized.

Slow, suffered from a bad plot but fair dialogue.

I thought it funny how Richard Harris (Cromwell) was shouting and/or high-strung in every scene. My favorite scene is where he rebukes Lord Manchester and decides to raise an army on his own.

LOL! This was my wife's critique as well. Nothing like speaking in stilted English and Railing at the Pope @ every turn!

Nothing like speaking in stilted English and Railing at the Pope @ every turn!

It's like seeing Ian Paisley on the big screen!

Watching it this afternoon with the kids.

(Later): Just finished it. Very good, but I was struck by how often God's name was used. Were those quotes, or was it done in vain? Otherwise, the 'blasphometer' rating will have to change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back