Crown Financial Ministry and the Law of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
Does anyone have any experience in evaluating the THEOLOGICAL aspects of this ministry's program? I am sure that it is a VERY helpful financial course for people to go through and that thousands have benefitted from it, so on that aspect I have no contention.

However...
I have a very good friend who is a proponent of this course and has been through it several times because of the "financial principles" that are taught.

I get a little nervous when people mention "principles" connected with the Scriptures, not because there aren't any, but because the Scriptures are primarily teaching how God is glorified in all things, and particularly through saving sinners.

It seems like the advocates of Crown Financial, at least the ones I've met, come to see the Bible as a collection of principles that can be applied to: making better business decisions; being better "stewards"; using one's finances more wisely; raising better families; etc., etc.

In order to do this, and of course this is just my humble opinion, it seems like verses are wrestled out of their contexts and are given meanings and applications that were not necessarily intended. For example, in talking with one such friend, he seems to have a HUGE emphasis on "stewardship" in his life and always getting the very most out of every dollar, as if God is most pleased with us when we are "really acting wise financially." It always feels as if its bordering on legalism when I hear it.

Am I missing something? Is an improper hermanuetic used in this course in order to promote a more "financial" emphasis on the Scriptures teachings? Or am I off base and just being too critical on something I don't have a good enough understanding of?

Any thoughful insights would be helpful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back