CT books please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neopatriarch

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone,

I've just finished reading C. Matthew McMahon's book A Simple Overview of Covenant Theology. What should I read next?

I really got alot out of M. Horton's book God of Promise. It is written as an introduction to Cov. Theology.

Maybe A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson. I read it long before I ever new what CT was. It's just an all around good book.

Most would probably recommend O. Palmer Robertson's Christ and the Covenants.

His definition of a covenant is somewhat off. I would suggest Witsius. You can have a taste of it here and read the introduction here. :book2:

:ditto: The whole work by Witsius is available online here:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f29/economy-covenants-herman-witsius-21259/

I would also recommend John L. Girardeau, The Federal Theology: Its Import and Regulative Influence; Edward Fisher, The Marrow of Modern Divinity; and the writings of Thomas Boston, Thomas Watson, Wilhelmus a'Brakel, and others in that vein on this subject.

Here is a previous thread concerning what books on covenant theology to read:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f31/books-covenant-theology-12359/

For a Particular Baptist Covenant Theology I would recommend Nehemiah Coxe's Covenant Theology From Adam to Christ. Covenant Theology From Adam to Christ

And from what I understand 'Covenant Children Today' is an excellent view of Covenant Children in light of Matthews book from a Reformed Baptist perspective. Covenant Children Today / Reformed Baptist Academic Press

That is what a few guys told me who have read both Matt's book and Covenant Children Today. I started to read Matthew's book but I just didn't venture far into it. The style was not for me. I can not comment on the content.

Most would probably recommend O. Palmer Robertson's Christ and the Covenants.

His definition of a covenant is somewhat off. I would suggest Witsius. You can have a taste of it here and read the introduction here. :book2:

Witsius' writing style is weird to me. I don't know how you guys can make sense of it. He uses many long sentences and unusual words and phrases. Someone should translate him into modern English. And do the same with John Owen please! Thanks.

Alright. Alright. I can understand him, but I might have to push through his book at least twice before I get a good understanding of him.

If you're going to read Witsius's, "The Economy of the Covenants," make sure to get D. Patrick Ramsey and Joel Beeke's summary of it as well. I found it a BIG help.

Last edited:
And do the same with John Owen please!
Dude, No!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

:um: . . .

J. I. Packer says in the introduction of The Death of Death in the Death of Christ:
There is no denying that Owen is heavy and hard to read. This is not so much due to obscure arrangement as to two other factors. The first is his lumbering literary gait. "Owen travels through it (his subject) with the elephant’s grace and solid step, if sometimes also with his ungainly motion.” says Thomson. That puts it kindly. Much of Owen’s prose reads like a roughly-dashed-off translation of a piece of thinking done in Ciceronian Latin. It has, no doubt, a certain clumsy dignity; so has Stonehenge; but it is trying to the reader to have to go over sentences two or three times to see their meaning, and this necessity makes it much harder to follow an argument.

God of Promise

M. Horton's book God of Promise...one awesome book on the Covenants. In my humble opinion:2cents:

I really enjoyed "As Far As the Curse is Found" by Michael Williams, but also found Robertson's "Christ of the Covenants" helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back