Culture, Application and the Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Does the Bible itself determine which commands or cultural (ANE, Roman, or Greek, etc.)and which are normative? I am weary of the hermeneutic that says we can find a higher ethic (they usually present the salvery case).

We are on very dangerous ground indeed if we start down any path relativizing commands of Scripture on the basis of culture. If a command has a built-in expiration date (like the clean-unclean food laws) then the Bible will tell us explicitly (Mark 7 and Acts 10). But this would be based on redemptive-historical progression, not culture.

We are on very dangerous ground indeed if we start down any path relativizing commands of Scripture on the basis of culture. If a command has a built-in expiration date (like the clean-unclean food laws) then the Bible will tell us explicitly (Mark 7 and Acts 10). But this would be based on redemptive-historical progression, not culture.
I understand. Howevet, things like levrite marriage, etc. I am asking tather than believing 'this' and preaching 'this' because it seems weird to today.

Last edited:
I think generally speaking; we can trust that a common sense reading of the whole of scripture will show which commands are for us today and which are set upon principles that may or may not be in effect in our own situations.

1 Cor 7:26 is about as clear an example of a principled command that one might ask for.

In my opinion, those who insist an understanding of ANE or other historically relevant cultures are necessary to get at the truth of the Biblical text forget that while the individual authors of scripture were writing messages relevant to their own time and place and in a specific context, the ultimate occasion and context for scripture is God's purpose to make His own testimony known to His people and to make them complete through his sufficient word regarding Christ; and in that regard the Bible needs no external interpretive help. Cultural sources can really color the text and give depth or our understanding and appreciation of certain texts, but many a false teaching finds its way in the door when we're told our Bibles need to be interpreted through the lens of surrounding pagan culture than through the light of Christ by the Holy Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back