Culture Note

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
The novel, Frankenstein, or, The Modern Prometheus (to give it its full title) by Mary Shelly, and the song, "Silent Night" by Joseph Mohr and Franz Gruber, are both 200 years old this year.

In case you'd forgotten, never knew, etc.

By the way, if you've never read Frankenstein, you should. It is absolutely nothing like all those 1930s movies (as entertaining as they are). The novel is a completely different beast (heh) altogether.

By the way, if you've never read Frankenstein, you should. It is absolutely nothing like all those 1930s movies (as entertaining as they are). The novel is a completely different beast (heh) altogether.

Unless my memory fails (which it shouldn't; I'm only 26), we had to read all or part of Shelly's Frankenstein in high school. I remember the monster being an incredibly intelligent and articulate creature. It was quite a surprise to all of us high school seniors who were used to the Bugs Bunny rendition of the monster.

I can't say I enjoyed reading Frankenstein in high school.

I liked the song "Silent Night" at Christmas. My parents sometimes had us sing it in German, the original language of the song, but I did wonder about the choice of words "high holy pair" referring Mary and Jesus.

That's neat. One of my pastors doesn't care for that song. He says Revelation describes warfare going on during the birth of Christ, but the song says all is calm and bright.

He also doesn't care for Away in a Manger, because the words "no crying He makes."

The novel, Frankenstein, or, The Modern Prometheus (to give it its full title) by Mary Shelly, and the song, "Silent Night" by Joseph Mohr and Franz Gruber, are both 200 years old this year.

In case you'd forgotten, never knew, etc.

I pretty sure “Young Frankenstein” is canon though. ;)

That's neat. One of my pastors doesn't care for that song. He says Revelation describes warfare going on during the birth of Christ, but the song says all is calm and bright.

He also doesn't care for Away in a Manger, because the words "no crying He makes."
Your pastor seems very opinionated:lol:

1) I am the guy that politely reminds people that Frankenstein is not the name of the monster
2) I am the guy that points out the erroneous period often found after "all is bright"

And, yes, I am fun at parties. Or, I would be if I were invited anymore....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back