Cumberland Presbyterian Churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupotea

Puritan Board Junior
Is anyone familiar with them and how do they doctrinally comapre with the PCA or OPC?

I had a friend who was a pastor of one many years ago, but I didn't know much about Presbyterianism back then.

I used to work for a guy who was active in the Cumberland P.C. One of the more dishonest businessmen I've ever met.

Their website said it all when it talks about the Reverand Melissa somebody performing as the worship leader at their upcoming conference in Irving, TX.

[quote:8f066a7bbf][i:8f066a7bbf]Originally posted by king of fools[/i:8f066a7bbf]
Their website said it all when it talks about the Reverand Melissa somebody performing as the worship leader at their upcoming conference in Irving, TX. [/quote:8f066a7bbf]

That is not a good sign.

I met a Cumberland Presbyterian during fall semester and we became fairly good friends. The main difference, as he told me, is that they reject Calvinism, or the Doctrines of Grace, or whatever you call them.

Which is a fairly irritating thing you might imagine! I asked him why, and as is typical with most free-willers, the responses were based on erroneous ideas of God and human-centered logic (which isn't very logical).

He said that he didn't believe in analyzing the Bible, but rather just read two chapters a day and let it at that.

Whatev, he's a nice guy and we get along fine. I just really disagree with stuff like that.

The Cumberland Presbyterians have nothing in common with the PCA or OPC with the exception of calling themselves Presbyterians. They are more in line with the PCUSA.

As I recall they came from the Cumberland Presbytery, which was excommunicated by the PCUSA for their departure from Reformed Theology way back when the PCUSA was Reformed.

BTW: The Cumberland Presbyterian headquarters and their Memphis Theological Seminary are just a few miles down the road in Memphis.

[Edited on 5-23-2004 by jfschultz]

They're known as "whosoever will" Presbyterians. The were excised by the Synod of Kentucky in 1810 from the PCUSA.

In the spirit of ecumenism, not doctrinal unity, the PCUSA accepted them back in 1906.

I do not know if they have separated again or if they still exist as a different body within the PCUSA.

Blessings,

KC

The merger of 1906 in which the Cumberland were welcomed back in the fold was only partially successful. The most radical element stayed out and continued to use the name Cumberland Presbyterian. A second negro denomination also bore the same name at that time.

[quote:f0db9f60ef][i:f0db9f60ef]Originally posted by yeutter[/i:f0db9f60ef]
The merger of 1906 in which the Cumberland were welcomed back in the fold was only partially successful. The most radical element stayed out and continued to use the name Cumberland Presbyterian. A second negro denomination also bore the same name at that time. [/quote:f0db9f60ef]

Looked up these heretics and am nauseous. :barfy: :rant: Why do they bother with the name Reformed when they are some wierd Calminian construct? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back