Current Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatechumenPatrick

Puritan Board Freshman
With the end of August approaching, for quite a few of us that means back to the grind of the school semester—and that means new reading material. For the rest not in school, fall is a great time to get all the reading done you put aside over summer.
So, what are you reading at the moment and what do you hope to read over the coming months?
(I'm still waiting for textbook lists, so I can't say yet. But I do hope to march through Waltke's Old Testament Theology text in September and October.)

Currently reading Witsius, "Economy of the Covenants", which is outstanding; and William Whitaker, "Disputations on Holy Scripture", which is also very good. Hoping to get to Edwards' "Freedom of the Will" next.

I just finished Marsden's biography of Jonathan Edwards. Currently, I'm reading two books: one is Chesterton's Thomas Aquinas; the other is the first volume of a'Brakel's A Christian's Reasonable Service. It seems like everybody I talk to in my church is reading him right now. I've also never actually read Calvin's Institutes straight through, so that's the other one that I'd like to finish in coming months.

With my wife, I am reading George Whitefield's biography by Dallimore. I am also reading through Cavin's Institutes and Christopher Hall's "Reading Scriptures with the Church Fathers".

Still reading:
1) The Life and Times of John Newton by Josiah Bull.
2) The God Who Is There by D.A. Carson.
3) The Lord's Prayer by Herman Witsius.

When done with any of the above will start:
1) The God Who Is There by Francis Schaeffer.
2) Three Views on the Rapture General Editor Gleason L. Archer Jr.
3) Three Views On The Millennium and Beyond General Editor Darrell L. Bock.
4) The Apostles' Creed by Herman Witsius

I recently finished up Robert Letham's "The Holy Trinity" and now I am reading Van Til's "Christianity and Barthianism".

An article per day from Table Talk, and started going through the LXX all the way through for the first time. And of course SciFi novels.

I am reading Riddlebargers "A case for Amillenialism"
" More than Conquerers" William Hendriksen
and re-reading Redemption accomplished and applied" John Murray

I read these books everyday, even if only a page.
--------------------------------------------------------
D'Aubigne- The History of the Reformation at the Time of Calvin almost finished with Volume 1
A' Brakel - The Christian's Reasonable Service - Volume 4.

I read and study Manton on the Lord's Day
------------------------------------------------
Manton - The Works of Thomas Manton, Volume 4, Exposition of James.

Have an ongoing study on the Law, a couple days a week.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Buddy Hansen - God's Ten Words
Joe Morecraft - Authentic Christianity, Exposition on the Larger Catechism, Volume 3, 4, 5
James Durham - The Ten Commandments
A' Brakel - The Christian's Reasonable Service - Volume 3

I have what I call 'car study' which I listen and read corresponding sermons
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J.V. Fesko's book on Ecclesiastes, which correspond to his sermons
Joe Morecraft - History of the Reformation

Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, I read the book of Genesis, not to go back to sleep,
but because it always keeps me mindful of the sinfulness of man and the mercy of God.

I will be reading these for a while...a long while... (I have 4 children, 3 very small, and we read the Bible and learn who we believe in and obey, all the while being disciplined and chastened to the truth of our loving and gracious God.)

Last edited:
Bavinck's Prolegomena to "Reformed Dogmatics."

Hope to get through all the volumes in apt time.

A book that I could not find a deal online compared to the local bookstore.

I guess they all know when they have you coming and going (grumble...)

Currently reading Pink's "Sovereignty of God"; not sure what I'll be reading next, it depends on when I finish it and how much money I have in my bank account at that point. I have a couple books in mind. =)

I’m reading Meet the Puritans, Jonathan Edwards Bio by Marsden, Death of Death in the death of Christ and Finally Alive by Piper.

I'm reading G. Vos' Pauline Eschatology. I've thought about reading H. Bavinck next, but wouldn't be surprised if I get drawn back into another work by Mr. Vos.

Several have mentioned the Marsden bio of Jonathan Edwards -- a marvelous work!

I am reading Bruce Gordon's Calvin and still reading through Richard A. Muller's 3rd Vol. (The Divine Essence and Attributes) of his Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics. To round it off I am also reading Islamic Creed Series/Vol. 6 Divine Will and Predestination: In the Light of the Qur'an and Sunnah by Umar Sulaimaan al-Ashqar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back