Cursor jumping when trying to reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
Is anyone else having problems with the cursor jumping all around when trying to reply to a post? Ahhh! It's seriously driving me crazy! I just spent 5 mins trying to highlight one word to insert a link. I still couldn't do it so I just had to give up. It does it sometimes and then sometimes it works. What's the deal?

I've been having that problem here off and on for the past couple weeks. Also, and it only occurs when I try to reply, sometimes there is severe lag time between when I type something and when it appears in the reply box as me having typed it... and if I have a typo trying to backspace takes a while. So, yeah, I'm had some problems recently!

Paranoid non-techie layman here: Make sure you have a good anti-virus program installed on that troublesome computer.
If you are using Firefox as your browser, be sure to install NoScript, AdBlock and BetterPrivacy add-ons.

Oh, and for the record, are both of you working on PC's? I'm on a Linux computer and haven't seen this problem, but do remember something like this back when I was using a PC.

I have some problems of the reply box scrolling back up and not letting me type more. It only happens periodically.

I have had the same cursor problems and sometimes a VERY slow delay in the typed letters appearing. The first is still with me (last few weeks), but the latter is mercifully gone.

My workaround is to type up my response on Microsoft Word and paste it in at one stroke.

The cursor jumping issue is not being caused by the board backend. There are many reasons why this could happen. It could be processes happening in the background of your computer, slow I/O, poor script engine, etc.

Try the Google Chrome browser. It's a very efficient browser and has a very fast script engine. The latest version of Firefox is supposed to be quicker too.

Thanks Rich and others. I forgot about that slow typing thing Ben and Dennis mentioned too. For no reason that randomly happens also! The weird thing is, this never used to happen until fairly recently - maybe a month/6 weeks ago? For that reason, I assumed it was not my computer because this is the exact same computer I've always used.

Those of you who are having problems, what version of what browser are you running and on what operating system?

Yes

I have the same prooblem and it is very frustrating. If I try to edit my post I have to cut paste and recopy because of the same problem. It occurs 90% of the time, occaisionally , about 10% of the time it does not.

if nothing else, I am happy to know I am not the only one having these issues. I was thinking I was going crazy. I run IE 8 at home and Vista.

Try turning on "Compatability View" under the tools menu in IE 8.

This problem is similar to problems people have had with wordpress postings. Although nobody seems to have identified the cause, it looks like something in IE 8 causes a script to keep reloading the page you are trying to type on, which makes the cursor spring up to the top. I've run into it in other contexts and the switch to compatability view seemed to reduce its impact for me.

Same trouble here, for a few months now, intermittently. I'll try out the compatibility view thing.

Last edited:
Did some research. This is a confirmed bug that vBulletin is working on: Editor text box jumps around - vBulletin Community Forum - Projects

Here are the workarounds:

1. Use anything except IE8. I recommend Firefox.

2. If you want to use IE8
a. You can use Enhance WYSIWYG Mode by clicking on the
switchmode.png
button on the upper right corner. It's on when it looks depressed.
b. You can go to compatibility mode as already discussed.

I was having this problem awhile back. I adjusted the sensitivity of my touch pad because I have a laptop. It solved my problem. It was driving me absolutely crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back