Cut Off Their Thumbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
Mayor: Cut thumbs off graffiti 'punks'
Friday, November 4, 2005; Posted: 11:54 a.m. EST (16:54 GMT)

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- The mayor of Las Vegas has suggested that people who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television.

"In the old days in France, they had beheadings of people who commit heinous crimes," Mayor Oscar Goodman said Wednesday on the TV show "Nevada Newsmakers."

Goodman said the city has a beautiful highway landscaping project and "these punks come along and deface it."

"I'm saying maybe you put them on TV and cut off a thumb," the mayor said. "That may be the right thing to do."

Goodman also suggested whippings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

Another panelist on the show, state university system regent Howard Rosenberg, said cutting off the thumbs of taggers won't solve the problem and Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

What are your thoughts on such punishments for criminals?

Shock and surprise...Biblical penology...:up::lol:

Eye for an eye...What does defacing do? It lessens the value of the property...in effect stealing. Have the person make restitution by restoring the property to its original form as well as put them on the next beautification project.

Not sure if I have it under the proper head of stealing though...help?

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by crhoades]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah you theonomists at time sound like liberals:cool:
a die hard republican would say, "you need to get tough on crime, no slap on the wrist penalties" ;)

Ecc 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed speedily, the heart of the children of man is fully set to do evil.

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,
Rom 13:4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

(I am not for mutilation, but the punishments do need to be stricter.)

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by Saiph]

Originally posted by Slippery
aaaaaaaaaaaaaah you theonomists at time sound like liberals:cool:
a die hard republican would say, "you need to get tough on crime, no slap on the wrist penalties" ;)

:lol: liberal...first time I've been accused of that!:p

The only thing that bothers me about this is the Television idea. In fact, that part of the idea actually scares me a little.

Maybe it should be a pay-per-view event. :bigsmile:

j/j

[Edited on 11-4-2005 by ANT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back