Dale Ralph Davis / Psalms 25-37 - $0 on Logos this month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it. I'm late to the Logos game, but I am more and more impressed with it as a bible software.
Here is a Logos cheat code for you if you do not already have it: add over 1,100 volumes from the Perseus Classics Collection at no cost. In addition to reading these volumes on a tablet device are powerful search feature(s), specifically with Greek or Latin. For example, when studying a word in a lexicon that has specific references/citations to the ancient world, you can mouse over the reference for the quick example of how that word is used - or select the passage to open the full resource in a separate window. In the example below, Homer is cited (Odyssey Book 21, 365). You can mouse over to see the reference in the first example. Or, you can select the passage in a new window and since the collection has both the Greek and English texts, you can view or syncronized scroll through the text side by side to get the context:

mouse over for quick reference

1677894116208.png

synced texts of the full passage

1677894274040.png

Everyone seems to rave about Dale R Davis' commentaries.
Logos looks like a money pit for someone like me though :moneywings:

Everyone seems to rave about Dale R Davis' commentaries.
Logos looks like a money pit for someone like me though :moneywings:
Davis' commentaries are especially valuable for his quotability and gift for uniquely conveying the gist of a passage. As with all commentaries, especially "popular" ones, take what you deem as meat and spit out the bones. I hear you with the "money pit" concern. Kindle books can be that way, too. The temptation to get over your skiis financially is there, especially with a program like Logos (insert Accordance and Olive Tree here, too). Even so, it's been an invaluable resource for me and my ministry over the last 20+ years. One thing that gets overlooked is you can start very inexpensively with Logos and build your library over time. They've really improved their free training offerings as well. Do with all that what you will.

Davis' commentaries are especially valuable for his quotability and gift for uniquely conveying the gist of a passage. As with all commentaries, especially "popular" ones, take what you deem as meat and spit out the bones. I hear you with the "money pit" concern. Kindle books can be that way, too. The temptation to get over your skiis financially is there, especially with a program like Logos (insert Accordance and Olive Tree here, too). Even so, it's been an invaluable resource for me and my ministry over the last 20+ years. One thing that gets overlooked is you can start very inexpensively with Logos and build your library over time. They've really improved their free training offerings as well. Do with all that what you will.
you can literally start it for free

you can literally start it for free
That's true. Not sure what's included. I was thinking more of the Fundamentals package for $49.95. That comes with a nice collection of resources for the money. Regardless, your point's well taken.

Free Resources listed here

The Lexham Bible Dictionary alone is worth the price of admission (which is free). Faithlife study bible as well.
This month, some stuff like the Welwyn series are heavily discounted https://www.logos.com/free-book

But yes the fundamentals for 50 is a great deal. New Bible commentary which is the best single vol commentary and CSB study note. A lot of mileage for Sunday school teachers.

Free Resources listed here

The Lexham Bible Dictionary alone is worth the price of admission (which is free). Faithlife study bible as well.
This month, some stuff like the Welwyn series are heavily discounted https://www.logos.com/free-book

But yes the fundamentals for 50 is a great deal. New Bible commentary which is the best single vol commentary and CSB study note. A lot of mileage for Sunday school teachers.
Thanks for posting this. Neat thing that Logos does every month with free and greatly discounted books, more than a few of which this board would enjoy. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I don't agree that Logos is a money pit. I spent some money years ago for a large package but htat had resources if, individually purchased, would have been more than the whole. I'm not able to read regular books any more due to my macular degeneration and, when I have a choice, I always purchase works on Logos. I'm able to quickly search across my Library for systematic or exegetical needs whenever needed. As I preach occasionally, I'm able to access several commentaries and theological works quickly to prepare me in Sermon prep. Whenver I need to look at anything dealing with the original languages, the tools I have in Logos are extremely useful.
As to the cost, it's paid for when I buy the works. My only expense is when I buy a work that I want or need.

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 12.57.08 PM.png

With Logos, when I am doing work on say a OT passage. I am able to open different translations / commentaries / Hebrew dictionaries/lexicons / systematic and biblical theologies / dictionaries. I am able to find the exact book of the bible I need / word I am studying literally in clicks.

Logos gives you the ability to easily use all your resources conveniently. I cannot imagine having the potential 20 resources as hardcopies laid out on my table. It is just not practical. And the need to flip here and there (the lexicon flipping is killer by itself). Logos forces lazy ol me to use all the resources I have for X topic because it is too convenient. If left to hardcopies, I do not think I would always find it worth the effort to use every book I can use for X topic.

My 2c. Not a Logos salesman.
And not directed to you alexander, I just put it out here for anyone to see.

View attachment 10102

With Logos, when I am doing work on say a OT passage. I am able to open different translations / commentaries / Hebrew dictionaries/lexicons / systematic and biblical theologies / dictionaries. I am able to find the exact book of the bible I need / word I am studying literally in clicks.

Logos gives you the ability to easily use all your resources conveniently. I cannot imagine having the potential 20 resources as hardcopies laid out on my table. It is just not practical. And the need to flip here and there (the lexicon flipping is killer by itself). Logos forces lazy ol me to use all the resources I have for X topic because it is too convenient. If left to hardcopies, I do not think I would always find it worth the effort to use every book I can use for X topic.

My 2c. Not a Logos salesman.
And not directed to you alexander, I just put it out here for anyone to see.
Very good point but let me challenge, how about something like e-Sword with which you can do the same thing with all the best classic commentaries entirely for free. (I know I know, it's not as polished or as Logos and far more limited.)

But again for myself, in reality I have actually found myself returning to using physical books in the main.

Very good point but let me challenge, how about something like e-Sword with which you can do the same thing with all the best classic commentaries entirely for free. (I know I know, it's not as polished or as Logos and far more limited.)

But again for myself, in reality I have actually found myself returning to using physical books in the main.
Sure, Logos does not have all that for free.
But my point is to just try out Logos for free (anyone). Like I said the Lexham Bible Dictionary containing many articles is worth the effort to just click a download button. Bible dictionaries are expensive in hardcover and here you have a top one for free.

Did you know you can actually get the NICOT/NT for E-sword for like $300, the ACCS for $129, the IVPNT for $59, and the Preachers Commentary for $80?
I purchased these when I used to use E-Sword, and it is great to have these more up to date commentaries in there to supplement the older ones.

I used e-Sword for a while a few years back, along with Logos and Bibleworks. It was and still is fine as far as it goes. e-Sword is limited, however, compared to Logos (and Accordance) on several fronts. Those limitations matter significantly for some, but are no big deal for others. But the fact it's a great value is evident, or the program wouldn't still be around after all these years. Hat tip to Rick Meyers. He's done a great service for the kingdom with and through e-Sword.

Also MLJ's "Plight of Man and the Power of God" for 99 cents and O. Palmer Robertson on Joel for $1.99, among other goodies.

Really like everything I read from Mr. Davis - excellent redemptive-historical approach that makes for a great supplement to larger commentaries or just devotional reading. In the Presence of My Enemies: Psalms 25–37 $0 this month at Logos. See his post, Why We Need the Psalms on TGC from a few years back.
This question is for you or anyone else on the thread, concerning Dale Ralph Davis's redemptive-historical approach: I started a thread about this hermeneutical approach this morning, and would be interested to know if Mr. Davis, in his commentaries, takes a covenantal view of things via means of the historical-grammatical hermeneutic/ exemplary approach, in addition to his RH approach. If I have phrased that so as to make sense. I don't want to take up the thread with this, as it's sort of tangentially related to the OP, so just a brief reply if anyone can answer would be appreciated!

Hi Jeri,
The approach you seem so worried about exists but is very much a backwater. Most people who would describe themselves as redemptive historical in approach (as I would myself) are in the center of classic Reformed Theology. I think you (and others on this board) would really enjoy all of Ralph Davis' work; it's certainly not short of application. He's even better if you hear him in person!

Hi Jeri,
The approach you seem so worried about exists but is very much a backwater. Most people who would describe themselves as redemptive historical in approach (as I would myself) are in the center of classic Reformed Theology. I think you (and others on this board) would really enjoy all of Ralph Davis' work; it's certainly not short of application. He's even better if you hear him in person!
Thanks Rev. Duguid. I am more educating myself than worried. :) I can see where some taking the RH approach could begin to take on dispensational thinking, as Rich pointed out. I'm interested in recognizing it and, if it falls into my place and station with friends and family to do so, to maybe speak a word and share a resource. In my experience, little theological foxes can creep in and rob folks of the richness of what we have in God's word, and can have spiritual consequences. And, I actually ordered a commentary by Mr. Davis yesterday! I'm looking forward to getting and using it.

I was an avid E-Sword user for a bit; even doing some modules for them. But in the "free" software game; theWord Bible software really takes the cake. It is much more closer to Logos than E-Sword; and it can be run from a flashdrive, and even on Linux through Wine. But, Esword is a good program and takes the cake on the sheer amount of resources. If you have the chance, check it out:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back