Damascus Countdown (Joel Rosenberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
This is the conclusion to the David Shirazi series.

Even though this is the standard spy-thriller, it’s still quite good. In terms of technical novel-writing, it succeeds at all levels. It also communicates an urgency for the gospel. And while Joel Rosenberg’s eschatology is off (and I will argue that even on pre-trib standards it doesn’t always work), he captures the “prophetic thrust” of the Middle East.

Basic plot-line: David Shirazi is an Iranian-American who is a CIA asset in Iran. In earlier books Shirazi had penetrated the Madhi’s intelligence network, but time is running out.

Rosenberg writes his novel around the Shi’ite concept of the “12th Imam,” the Islamic lord of the age who would destroy the Great and Little Satans. Not surprisingly, this ties in with current speculation on Iran.

Problems:

Even on a pre-tribulational reading of Gog and Magog, it’s not clear that his scenario fits. Ezekiel says Israel will be at peace, then the nations of the world will strike. Okay, but Israel is not at peace and the nations of the world aren’t striking, just Iran, Hamas, and Syria. Even the bogeyman Russia isn’t involved, and Russia is key for Rosenberg’s larger scenario.

Very few dispensationalists hold to that. It got popularized by Hagee but no serious premillennialist cares about that.

I do admit I was a little worried when I heard of a possible treaty between Iran, Russia and China about going off the US Petro-Dollar and to the gold standard and I thought about God and Magog. Do you think any of that will happen in the future? An army of enormous size, etc.

I do admit I was a little worried when I heard of a possible treaty between Iran, Russia and China about going off the US Petro-Dollar and to the gold standard and I thought about God and Magog. Do you think any of that will happen in the future? An army of enormous size, etc.

Yes, I do. But Russia has nothing to do with Gog/Magog. People try to connect Rosh in Ezk. with Russia, but that is a debunked linguistic fallacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back