Daniel 2 Epistemelogical self-awareness and dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Starting to read Rushdoony's second chapter and was struck by his observations on dreams. He spoke of dreams being sort of rooted in our LACK of epistemelogical self-awareness. It struck a chord with a verse from Ecclesiastes(?) He has put eternity in mman's heart, but he does not understand it.

There is something here which is not crystalising for me so if you can clarify (as opposed to rubbishing) what I am trying to get a handle on post here. :D

Just started reading Ronald Wallace's commentary (IVP series) which feeds into something of the same vein. Wallace describes man's basic insecurity as behind the grab for power and yet the more power accumulated the more anxiety can develop in it's retention. Neb had built a vast empire and lavished huge amounts of money and manpower on the construction of Babylon. He was at the height of his power... ...and afraid that he could lose it.

Wallace then describes a change in mood as Neb. worries over retaining the kingdom and becomes somewhat paranoid. In his discussion with the Chaldeans, verse 8 he basically accuses them of a conspiracy. By verse 12 he is ordering a bloodbath! The same strength of character that raised him up seems to becoming self-destructive at this point.

I am tempted to say that this is the lack of epistemelogical self-awareness mentioned by Rushdoony, but am I oversimplifying what he intends to communicate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back