Daughter Looking for a Church in the Minneapolis Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGW

Puritan Board Freshman
My oldest daughter will be attending Crown College in St. Bonifacius, MN starting in late August. St. Bonifacius is located just west of Minneapolis. We're looking at several church options and I wanted to find out if anyone on the PB was familiar with the churches in the area. So far, we're considering the following options:

Redeemer Reformed Church (RCUS)
St Paul's Evangelical Reformed Church (RCUS)
Minnesota Valley Reformed Baptist Church (Independent Reformed Baptist)
Redeemer Bible Church (Independent Reformed Baptist)

I've read most of the information on each church's website and have communicated with an elder at 3 of the 4 churches.

Does anyone have any first hand information on these churches, or have other recommendations?

Thank you.

I am not familiar with any of those, but have you considered Providence Reformed Baptist? David Chanski is the Pastor, though there was talk of him taking another call.

PRBC

Welcome to Bethany Bible Church

My friend goes here. They are a smaller and more personal church and preach solid doctrine.

Around my neck of the woods, Bible Church almost always means dispensational.

This statement from that church wouldn't give me much comfort:

"We believe in the imminent return of Jesus Christ for His church (the rapture), followed by a seven-year period where the wrath of God is poured out on the Earth (the tribulation). At the end of the tribulation the Lord Jesus will physically return to earth to reign for one thousand years (the millennium). "
Doctrinal Statement

Scott,

My wife and I are moving back to Minnesota in two weeks. We will be attending Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church (PCA). It is a great Church with very friendly people; they take preaching and worship there very seriously. I know several of the elders there and they are great people. There are other PCA and OPC Churches in the Twin Cities area. I've had friends that went to Bethlehem Baptist Church, and they really felt lost in the crowd there.
Here is the link to Good Shepherd PCA GSPC - Main

My friend goes here. They are a smaller and more personal church and preach solid doctrine.

"We believe in the imminent return of Jesus Christ for His church (the rapture), followed by a seven-year period where the wrath of God is poured out on the Earth (the tribulation). At the end of the tribulation the Lord Jesus will physically return to earth to reign for one thousand years (the millennium). "
Doctrinal Statement

They have been in flux and I think might be adopting the 1689 and joining FIRE soon. I've heard the preaching and it is good from what I heard.

Doctrinal Statement

They have been in flux and I think might be adopting the 1689 and joining FIRE soon. I've heard the preaching and it is good from what I heard.

It's nice if they are moving in the right direction, but it doesn't sound like they've gotten there yet. Around here, nice, enthusiastic friendly Dispensationalists can be a real threat to good churches. I wouldn't recommend a church with a dispensational profession to anyone if there is a viable alternative.

I read the title of this thread and couldn't help remembering a particular Saturday afternoon while I was staying in Minneapolis with my sister and brother-in-law. They had recently left a strong Dispensational Baptist Church, John Piper wasn't around yet, and we had not yet discovered the doctrines of grace (so presbyterian churches were not an option).

We really wanted to attend church the next day, so we used the pray and point method. (I don't recommend it.) Here's how it works, you get out the phone directory and turn to the church section of the yellow pages. You choose a denomination, say a prayer, close your eyes and point. Wherever your finger lands, that's where you go to church. By the way, it didn't work. We pointed to some church with a long name like, "Glory Hallelujah Four Corners Gospel Fellowship Church". We couldn't stomach the idea of going there, so we ended up making tons of phone calls before we found a place where we would be comfortable worshipping. Isn't the PB great?

"Glory Hallelujah Four Corners Gospel Fellowship Church"

I attended the "Jesus People Church" in Minneapolis back in the 70's a few times. It was located in an old Christian Science church building near downtown. Strange experience for someone raised a papist. :lol:

If it were my daughter and I was going to visit her often...I would pick the closest Reformed church to the largest Cabelas store in Owatonna!

:oops::stirpot:

Thank you all for the information and recommendations. We’ll certainly add Good Shepherd Presbyterian to the list based on the recommendation from Steven. Originally, we hadn’t given them much consideration because there’s very little information on their web site. Also, when we first moved to the Phoenix area a year and a half ago we tried two different PCA churches and they were both on the liberal/contemporary side.

Unfortunately, Mission OPC in St Paul is too far to drive so it’s really not an option. As far as Bethlehem Baptist is concerned, we prefer a smaller church where our daughter will be more accountable to church leadership.

Thank again for the help!

"Glory Hallelujah Four Corners Gospel Fellowship Church"

I attended the "Jesus People Church" in Minneapolis back in the 70's a few times. It was located in an old Christian Science church building near downtown. Strange experience for someone raised a papist. :lol:

Norm,
I went to that same Jesus people church a few times back in the late 70's as well.
Small world!
Jim

There is a smaller Arbca church in Chaska,
The Pastor is Harold Chase, he is on sermonaudio
Minnesota Valley Reformed Baptist Church
Harold Chase | Cologne, Minnesota ... 61°F
| WEB | 612-499-0327 ... sermonaudio.com/mnvbc

Broadcaster Podcast | HelpSelect Podcast Format | Help
• XML Podcast Feed (RSS)
• Apple iPod+iTunes
• Microsoft Zunehttp://www.sermonaudio.com/source_detail.asp?sourceid=mnvbc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTML Embed | More | Demo

Flash Widget | More

Sermon Browser Info | Demo

Our Picks | Info | Demo

Single Sermon | More | Demo

Latest Blog | More | Demo

Home Sermons Series Weblog Events Albums Comment Links Store eDocs

Read through all visitor comments on sermons, weblogs, etc | or view or sign our guestbook

Contact About Us Schedule Ministries Notices

From Our Archives Sunday, June 17, 2007
Ben Armstrong Sunday - AM

Crossing the Jordan
Joshua's Journey in Grace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Recently Preached » ALL SERMONS |
Submit To God's Sovereignty
Harold Chase | Ecclesiastes

Abuse Of Riches

Vows And Governments

God's Warning: No Fatalism

God's Means Of Causing Fear #4

God's Means Of Causing Fear #3