Dave Hunt: Calvinists Aren't Saved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I will say that Hunt has an appreciation for sola scriptura and for the sufficiency of scripture. It was his stance in this area that helped lead to my conversion from sort of a gnostic blasphemer who denied the deity of Christ and believed the Bible was badly translated and/or had been corrupted. Are there far better Reformed writers in this area? Undoubtedly. But it was Hunt's writings that God used to draw me to himself and his Word. Just prior to that, I was also somewhat favorably disposed to Romanism (largely b/c they weren't "literalistic" and they were more conservative than the liberal church I grew up in), but his "A Woman Rides the Beast" disabused me of that once and for all. I haven't looked at it since 1999, so I don't know what I would think of it at this point. I was also sort of into sensationalism at the time, (probably the fruit of being an avid talk radio listener) so I think Hunt's work appealed to me on that level the way that someone else's would not have at that time. Hunt also debunked a lot of the Y2k hysteria. Of course, one of his reasons was that it didn't fit into his end times chart. But the other major reason was his experience in the corporate world.

Now, his soteriology (and eschatology), that's another thing altogether...:down: What's even worse is his unwillingness and/or inability to admit his error in not doing any real research. His continued misrepresentation of Calvinism is inexcusable on any level. With his statement that Calvinists aren't saved, he's veered into fanaticism and extremism. I'm not someone who says that Arminians aren't or can't be saved, but Hunt would seem dangerously close to the judgment and damnation he heaps upon Calvinists in this issue.

Josh, I don't think anything I wrote above defends Hunt's theology, per se, but if it's unacceptable, you can delete it. It is precisely because Hunt is somewhat strong in some areas (compared to typical evanjellyfish) that many who are ignorant are led astray into thinking he's right on Calvinism.

Likewise, basically all cults and false religions have some element of truth in them (although not salvific truth), otherwise no one would believe them.

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by Pilgrim]

Originally posted by Pilgrim
Well, I will say that Hunt has an appreciation for sola scriptura and for the sufficiency of scripture.

Now, his soteriology (and eschatology), that's another thing altogether...

Is that even logically possible? Can you affirm the sufficiency of scripture in what is says concerning man, and then talk out of the other side of your mouth on how it is that a man is justified?

I think Hunt is far more guilty that just exercising bad hermeneutics.

I say that Dave Hunt is not saved because not only does he vehemently deny sovereign grace, but anathematizes those who do!
He must turn, or he will burn.

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
I say that Dave Hunt is not saved because not only does he vehemently deny sovereign grace, but anathematizes those who do!
He must turn, or he will burn.

:ditto:

What is mainstream stance on him?

It seems I remember Macarther having him at his church, I think it was due to the Women rides the beast book, several years ago, have men like Macarther come out against Hunt? I know he's pumped up in Calvary Chapel circles, but that's to be expected.

Originally posted by tdowns007
It seems I remember Macarther having him at his church, I think it was due to the Women rides the beast book, several years ago, have men like Macarther come out against Hunt? I know he's pumped up in Calvary Chapel circles, but that's to be expected.

Now THAT suprises me. I would think MacArthur would know better. Then again, he also believes wine in the Bible was NA so the guy's not perfect.

Originally posted by srhoades
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Well, I will say that Hunt has an appreciation for sola scriptura and for the sufficiency of scripture.

Now, his soteriology (and eschatology), that's another thing altogether...

Is that even logically possible? Can you affirm the sufficiency of scripture in what is says concerning man, and then talk out of the other side of your mouth on how it is that a man is justified?

I think Hunt is far more guilty that just exercising bad hermeneutics.

I think it is pretty clear from my posts that I think Hunt is guilty of far more than exercising bad hermeneutics.

I'm sure glad I'm here with you folks! The Lord has brought me to faith with the teachings of the reformers. The outside world, well the modern church has been beating the doors down trying to discredit the teachings and the men as false and corrupt. Everywhere I turn this stuff is following me or someone is trying to save me from false teachings of Calvin and others. Anyway I'm going to make myself at home here and continue my studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back