David B. Calhoun (1937-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I saw an obituary for Dr. Calhoun. He died on April 9 after fighting cancer for several decades, off and on. He was 83, I think (unless he'd already had his birthday this year).

His two-volume history of Princeton Seminary is terrific. I've just ordered his 2016 book on reading Calvin's Institutes devotionally.

I met him a number of times in the 90's. He was a very godly man who helped us in our church plant in England in some quiet and self-sacrificial ways through Presbyterian Missions International, an organization he was instrumental in setting up. I respected him deeply.

I'm sad to hear this too. I listened to his Calvin and church history lectures while commuting. I always wanted to meet him.

It was David Calhoun's book The Glory of the Lord Risen Upon It: First Presbyterian Church Columbia, South Carolina, 1795-1995 that gave me a love for the history of Southern Presbyterianism. My family made a special detour on our way to Florida a few years ago to visit First Presbyterian Columbia and worship with the saints there and explore the history first hand. It was a wonderful trip that I credit to Calhoun's moving account of the history of that church.

I think I have Our Southern Zion somewhere unread. I'll have to search for it.

It was David Calhoun's book The Glory of the Lord Risen Upon It: First Presbyterian Church Columbia, South Carolina, 1795-1995 that gave me a love for the history of Southern Presbyterianism. My family made a special detour on our way to Florida a few years ago to visit First Presbyterian Columbia and worship with the saints there and explore the history first hand. It was a wonderful trip that I credit to Calhoun's moving account of the history of that church.

I think I have Our Southern Zion somewhere unread. I'll have to search for it.

Studying the old Southern Presbyterians and Baptists connected to South Carolina has become a hobby of mine. Morton Smith is who stirred my interest.

I bought The Glory of the Lord Risen Upon It at the GPTS Spring Conference for $5.00. I also have Our Southern Zion by David Calhoun, but I have not read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back