David Chilton - Days of Vengeance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the things I read on that was that he became full preterist after his comma. I guess the question then would be can his writting be helpful if he was apostate?

Not sure if he was entirely because some say he repented before he died. Either way… Do you know where I can find a copy at a reasonable price? Do you have other recommendations on the book of Revelation?

There is a free pdf copy from Gary North's books site. I forgot the name of the site.
It's an ok commentary. I agree with the general premise. But, he is like James Jordan, finding and latching onto some unwarranted and obscure interpretations in some places.

This is the Bio on Chilton from Amazon:

"David Chilton is the president of Financial Awareness Corporation, a financial consulting firm. The Wealthy Barber and The Wealthy Barber Returns TV shows have enjoyed tremendous popularity since first airing on Public Television in the spring of 1993. Previous editions of this book have sold 2 million copies."

I hope that helps. :um:

"David Chilton is the president of Financial Awareness Corporation, a financial consulting firm. The Wealthy Barber and The Wealthy Barber Returns TV shows have enjoyed tremendous popularity since first airing on Public Television in the spring of 1993. Previous editions of this book have sold 2 million copies."

Well that does certaintly the explain the leaps and bounds that people claim he makes. I was reading one of his books called Paradise Restored and it seems well done so far. Somebody highly recommended it to me but the more I dig and ask around the more I find stuff like this.. He was indeed a pastor and was influenced a lot by Bahnsen.

EDIT::
I think the fact that he was a Pastor +Financial, +Consulting, +Wealthy Barber Show speaks to his preterist views. So he was living what he believed. That we should take Christianity into every avenue of life winning small battles every day.

Well that does certaintly the explain the leaps and bounds that people claim he makes. I was reading one of his books called Paradise Restored and it seems well done so far. Somebody highly recommended it to me but the more I dig and ask around the more I find stuff like this.. He was indeed a pastor and was influenced a lot by Bahnsen.

EDIT::
I think the fact that he was a Pastor +Financial, +Consulting, +Wealthy Barber Show speaks to his preterist views. So he was living what he believed. That we should take Christianity into every avenue of life winning small battles every day.
The Amazon bio is wrong. That is a different David Chilton. The Amazon bio (which I have found are regularly wrong) has him mixed up with David Chilton, a Canadian businessman.

In his New Testament Commentary Survey, D. A. Carson noted, in his review, that Gary North provided a preface that was so arrogant and condescending that he hoped Chilton was embarrassed by it. As for the commentary itself, Carson was not particularly impressed.

I recall GBahnsen wrote a relatively critical review of DChilton's DoV, by which I mean he did not recommend it as a well-written, coherent treatment. One of his problems was with the publisher/editor (GNorth) inputs. The book was delayed and sent back to the author and reworded in order to get new material forced in, and an alternate interpretive "template" overlaid (just read the editor's intro which is in the book for evidence of the process, about which there is nearly boasting). The result, according to GB, renders a confused final product.

If you understand this to start with, it could make handling the drawbacks bearable, while still offering a few insightful comments on some portion or other. DoV presents the view that Revelation is delivered to John in anticipation of the Roman assault on Jerusalem in AD70. In some ways, the interpretation comes across like an anti-LateGreatPlanetEarth. I mean, that instead of attack helicopters and tanks taken from the description, DC can also go for a viewpoint interpretation; (for example) the "hail" of Rev.16:21 understood as Roman siege trebuchet ammunition. Allegedly, this kind of detailed prediction is meant to prove the prophet's accuracy to those who observe the catastrophe first hand, or who later compare report of the battle to the advance notice.

On either interpretation (the HalLindsey style or the preterist), what's falling on men isn't iceballs from clouds. DC's reason for the inspired author's "coded description?" Is it prophetic hyperbole? Did he need to get his manuscript past Imperial censors worried about their latest technology getting into the wrong hands?

I don't claim there is nothing useful to be found in the book. It would not surprise me at all if those who had the opportunity to compare Revelation's judgments to events they lived through, even at so close a time, legitimately analogized John's descriptions of divine judgments to such a catastrophe, especially one that brought a terrible end to the final rebels of the Old Covenant order. Certainly, there are arguments for an "early date" to Revelation's composition, and if the Apocalypse is written prior to AD70, apt connections are fair.

A full or nearly-full preterist interpretation of Revelation really verges on mandating a world-improving expectation of the church's role and witness. There is a merging of time into eternity. If Revelation is fulfilled in detail by AD70, is there a realistic expectation that these events will be recapitulated or otherwise surpassed by an end-time apostasy? Does a final Old Covenant judgment presage a future New Covenant judgment? Or is the tragedy of history discovered completely in the events of the humiliation of Christ and the devastation of the previous, rebellious order? The postmillennial outlook sees an eventual return to Edenic, paradise-on-earth conditions. John's paradisaical descriptions in his final chs commence with the end of the Old Covenant order on this interpretation. It's upward from there.

I don't think an early date for Revelation's writing is a problem, or that the fall of Jerusalem might stand as a kind of instant-validation of John's prophetic vision. But to insist that this judgment is THE subject of the book, and predicts a detailed fulfillment of it in the end of the Old Covenant people, city, and temple, misses (in my view) the arrow pointing believers to Christ and hope beyond this life and this world. The world/wilderness context is not improving, and it won't improve. The church will have to deal institutionally throughout this intermediate time with declension and apostasy. But, the true church and its believers should never lose heart when in the end Christ surely triumphs and brings his people and kingdom together in full expression. There's my amillenialism showing.

The New Covenant order doesn't end, unlike the Old Covenant order. But the worldly context for the growth and building of the kingdom through rescue of people and covenant life as pilgrims does find a conclusion. Eventually there is an entrance through Jordan. The New Covenant people do not fight to expel the ungodly from their land, which is already prepared for them (He went ahead to prepare the place for us). But it is a struggle all the way up to the last, and Baal Peor is not that far from the border. Whatever Revelation may hint at about the end of the Old Covenant order, the focus of the book is the saints' everlasting rest.

We should note that no less a scholar than Gordon J. Wenham (a former member of my congregation) endorsed this commentary by writing a preface for it, calling it a "valuable commentary."

You might check American Vision (Gary DeMar). They carry Chilton and might still sell this one.

American Vision is the best place to find a copy; however, they are currently sold out. This happens from time to time, but if you're patient it'll be reprinted at some point. In the interim, the free pdf referenced above on North's website, if still available, is your best option.

If interested in other Chilton books, Paradise Restored is a very interesting thesis.

Some of the things I read on that was that he became full preterist after his comma. I guess the question then would be can his writting be helpful if he was apostate?

Not sure if he was entirely because some say he repented before he died. Either way… Do you know where I can find a copy at a reasonable price? Do you have other recommendations on the book of Revelation?

At best he may give a few helpful insights. It's very difficult to get those influenced by Chilton to affirm a personal return of Christ. I'm not simply talking about full preterists. I've asked a few leading men at American Vision if they believe in the personal return of Christ. They didn't directly answer me. Chilton correctly sees that if you believe that Revelation is written and fulfilled in 70 AD, then it is very difficult to explain why chapter 20 also isn't fulfilled in 70 AD.

And here are the highlights of Bahnsen's review.

At best he may give a few helpful insights. It's very difficult to get those influenced by Chilton to affirm a personal return of Christ. I'm not simply talking about full preterists. I've asked a few leading men at American Vision if they believe in the personal return of Christ. They didn't directly answer me. Chilton correctly sees that if you believe that Revelation is written and fulfilled in 70 AD, then it is very difficult to explain why chapter 20 also isn't fulfilled in 70 AD.

And here are the highlights of Bahnsen's review.

thanks for tracking this down. so I wont put too much stock in this book. one poster found the free pdf version, so that should suffice.

What would everyone say the best post-mill & Amill commentary on revelation would be?

American Vision is the best place to find a copy; however, they are currently sold out. This happens from time to time, but if you're patient it'll be reprinted at some point. In the interim, the free pdf referenced above on North's website, if still available, is your best option.

If interested in other Chilton books, Paradise Restored is a very interesting thesis.
I am reading paradise restored which has prompted me to checkout the commentary. thanks! although based on what I am hearing and reading I may not put too much stock in the commentary.

thanks for tracking this down. so I wont put too much stock in this book. one poster found the free pdf version, so that should suffice.

What would everyone say the best post-mill & Amill commentary on revelation would be?

Beale is the all time best commentary on Revelation.

I thought it was good and thought provoking. I bought it for $71 a while back off of either eBay or Amazon, cant remember which.

I’m looking forward to Dr. Kenneth Gentry Jr.’s Revelation commentary. It’s supposed to be two volumes and over 1,700 pgs, If I recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back