David Dickson on justification by faith and union with Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... Vers. 20. I am crucified with Christ. Nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me, and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the Faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Reas. 3. Confirming the former: I being justified by Faith, am judicially united unto Christ crucified, and in him I am judicially bound to die unto sin, to crucify the old man: Therefore I cannot consent to sin from the principles of the Doctrine of Justification by Faith. This is the Reason, Christ our Surety on the Cross, did not only expiate the sins of the redeemed, but also for their sakes he promised that they should die to sin, and crucify their corrupt nature: Therefore he which by Faith apprehending his judicial union with Christ crucified, it is necessary also that he acknowledge his obligation, to dye to sin, or to crucify his old nature by the virtue of Christ.

Nevertheless I live] I justified by Faith, am a new Creature, by the Spirit of Christ living in me, so that I live not, as to the old man, but Christ dwelling in me useth this natural life as his Organ and Member, and Effects, that by Faith, in his strength, I may lead this life, taking care of all my affairs, that I may, as it were, bring the Spirit into obedience unto God, and that out of his same love, by which he died for me: Therefore I cannot consent to sin from the principles of justifying Faith. The force of the Argument in short is this; The Spirit quickens us that are justified by the Faith of Christ to live holily: Therefore Justification by Faith doth not give liberty to sin. ...

For more, see David Dickson on justification by faith and union with Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back