David Engelsma: Should the church repent over its attitude to homosexualilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I do not always agree with David Engelsma, but I did like this bit of sanctified sarcasm in response to the notion that the church needs to "repent" of its attitude to homosexuality:

It is some consolation to us - the true church of today that condemns homosexuality as explicitly as Bavinck did implicitly - that as we pour forth our mea culpas regarding our condemnation of homosexuality and practicing homosexuals we find the apostle Paul of Romans 1:18ff. on his knees next to us and, with him and us, the Holy Ghost, who inspired the passage, as well as I Corinthians 6:9, 10, I Timothy 1:10, and other passages that clearly and bluntly condemn homosexuality.

David J. Engelsma, 'Review of John Bolt's Bavinck on the Christian Life', Protestant Reformed Theological Journal, 50, no. 1 (Nov. 2016), p. 117.

Polycarp: "the repentance from better to worse is a change not permitted to us; but it is a noble thing to change from untowardness to righteousness."

Polycarp: "the repentance from better to worse is a change not permitted to us; but it is a noble thing to change from untowardness to righteousness."

I just read this in my Christian History class! What a great statement.

I also found this to be very challenging to my view of my own sin:

"'Brokenness' may be regretted, although increasingly even regret is less and less the case; depravity must be confessed. 'Brokenness' can be fixed; depravity requires salvation. 'Brokenness' is a condition for which one gets sympathy; depravity is a condition of guilt and shame. 'Brokenness' permits the broken one to stagger on as best he can; depravity demands repentance—today. 'Brokenness' suggests that the fault is the Creator’s, or that there is no fault at all; depravity condemns, and puts the blame squarely on the depraved creature. 'Brokenness' implies that deliverance, to what extent the 'broken' one desires deliverance, is looked for in the broken one himself, if only he will apply himself, or in some psychologist or other; depravity casts the sinner only upon the crucified and risen Savior from sin, and upon the gospel. 'Brokenness' may be excused; depravity will be punished. 'Brokenness' is a human’s plight, perhaps because of a careless creator, who unfortunately dropped this creature in the process of creating him or her; depravity is fundamentally rebellion—and a fundamental rebellion, rebellion regarding the basic creation order of male and female—against the wise and good creator."

I think that God since he created Man and Woman did not want Homosexuality and sees it as a crime. Now turn today we men on men that transfer diseases that cannot be cured and other things that cannot be cured. This is part of Greed meaning that man wants what man wants and thats it. If you support this then you should also support men and women cheating on each other and why not men fall in and out of love with women all the time hahahhahaha fat chance. Homosexuality always works best when countries get fat and liberal (fat meaning lazy not weight). It's also the end of most countries is when Homosexuality is accepted as ok. I used to ask people would you raise your children to be homosexual and they would always say no today I can't do that anymore cause the liberal always says its ok. I think as Christians including myself we are very weak so weak we wait for our government to tell us what to do this has never happened to Christians before...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back