De Slag om De Schelde (Dutch WW2 movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
This is meant as a heads up for those of you who are WW2 movie buffs like I am, but am not Dutch speaking and may miss this upcoming movie. The Dutch are notorious for horrible movies, but this looks very promising. The non-English parts of the trailer point towards a family whose father has sided with the Nazis and a son who gave them information, the language suggests under interrogation.

I will follow this and update when a English subtitled version of the movie is available.

Not entirely related, but I always found it interesting how quickly the Dutch seem to have lost their language in the New World. Most of his grandparents immigrated from the Netherlands in their late teens or early 20s, but my dad can't speak a word. His parents, only a few.

Another instance of the British command's willingness to fight to the last drop of Commonwealth blood.

Loots like they used computer generated graphics instead of the real planes and paratroopers of A Bridge Too Far

Speaking of Dutch films, I've always been a fan of the sub-titled version of Soldaat van Oranje; the dubbed version is a butchered mess.

Not entirely related, but I always found it interesting how quickly the Dutch seem to have lost their language in the New World. Most of his grandparents immigrated from the Netherlands in their late teens or early 20s, but my dad can't speak a word. His parents, only a few.
The Dutch assimilate very easily into other cultures, when I was 2 we immigrated to Australia and they never spoke a word of Dutch while we were there. When we returned when I was 12 I had to learn Dutch in a hurry to be able to go to a Dutch high school.

Historically the Dutch do not have a strong sense of national identity, they would see themselves as European or Global citizens rather than Dutch. This has cost them dearly and there are efforts to reclaim that identity but it is met with a lot of resistance.

Loots like they used computer generated graphics instead of the real planes and paratroopers of A Bridge Too Far
Yes, a similar thing happened with the Midway remake. Entertaining to watch, but I prefer the 1976 version.
Also, it is a Dutch tradition to broadcast The Longest Day on the 4th and 5th of May. A must watch if you have never seen it.

I had to look that up. Apparently May 6 is liberation day. A Bridge Too Far would seem more apt than The Longest Day.
I don’t think this is correct. On the 4th we remember the casualties of WW2 (Dodenherdenking) and celebrate liberation on the 5th (Bevrijdingsdag). If I remember correctly, The Longest Day is divided into two parts and shown on both days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back