Deal with Him as a Father

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Sermons from 1 Peter 1:1-4), Works 4:134:

The cup that my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? John 18:11. If it was a cup that men only gave me to drink, I might quarrel with it, and I should have just cause for it. If it was a cup the devil gave me to drink, I would reject it. But it is a cup that my Father hath given me to drink, and therefore I must drink it; and I will drink it, and drink it cheerfully. The cup that my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? As if our Lord should have said, “Can you make any doubt of the reasonableness of my cheerful submission to what my Father doth?” And as our Lord practised this himself, so it is what we are directed to by the apostle at large, in the twelfth chapter of the Hebrews, from the 6th to the 11th verse, where the whole topic of the apostle runs this way. Patience under tribulation, of what sort soever it be, is argued from this consideration, that he is a Father who doth it. No great wonder if there is struggling and kicking against the yoke of the Lord, when people do not know the heart and mind and love of him that sent it. What son is he that the Father chasteneth not? If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as sons, Heb. 12:7; and you should deal with him as a Father, in bearing it patiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back