Dealing with a kind of hopelessness and depression as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have a clue about how your physical health is? Are you fat, skinny, strong weak? Do you sleep well? Can you walk up stairs without puffing? Do you have clear skin or acne? Do you break a sweat a few times a week (that is healthy)? You can be unhealthy without having a sickness... lot of folks eat junk food and lay about. This is very relevant. Physical health affects mental health and vice versa.
I gotcha. I'm normal. Average weight for my height. Clear face, not super strong but not super weak lol. I was recently a chimney sweep, had to lug a ton of bricks to and from a high rooftop, I'm just your average 24yo. That's what I mean. I feel fine. But at the same time, definitely not fine. Im down. Don't wanna do anything. It's fatigue, lack of motivation and ambition. I'm just down. That's the best description I can give. Down.

There is a huge link between anger and depression for me. My depression isn't chemically based it's situational depression. I become depressed when I'm not reading the Bible or praying as I should....basically when I'm not being obedient to God or when I'm off from work for one reason or another. I then become discontented with everything in my life which leads to anger and impatience. A lot of people have chemically based depression so you can't just tell them to shape up with God or get a job etc. But even people with chemically based depression having a solid foundation of faithfulness to God will help them versus not having that foundation at all.
Yes, just the same with me, Sarah, including the situational pattern.

Daniel, just purchased Voetius' book - thanks for the heads-up on that - this sort of thing is a deep interest of mine (phenomena of the heart and mind in believers).

Jonathan, and Sarah and Jeri, I'll remember you when I talk with the Saviour.

Jonathan, and Sarah and Jeri, I'll remember you when I talk with the Saviour.
Thank you Steve! I need prayer mostly for good and godly habits to continue to grow stronger, especially under duress. Like Sarah, when I stay occupied with good things, consistency with prayer and Bible reading, etc, and other duties to church and family and neighbor— my spirits are good. And I think this is applicable to any believer, whether a tendency to melancholy is chemical or situational.

I gotcha. I'm normal. Average weight for my height. Clear face, not super strong but not super weak lol. I was recently a chimney sweep, had to lug a ton of bricks to and from a high rooftop, I'm just your average 24yo. That's what I mean. I feel fine. But at the same time, definitely not fine. Im down. Don't wanna do anything. It's fatigue, lack of motivation and ambition. I'm just down. That's the best description I can give. Down.
Jonathan, take an old man's advice ... Idle hands are the devil's playthings, get a job or begin to force yourself to get out and do things. Even if it is walking a mile or two with no particular destination. Activity makes the time pass, and is a proven mood elevator.

I think, from reflecting on my own life as a young man, and now as an old one, that you are angry at your circumstances, and at yourself for being in those circumstances. Hence creating this malaise. I say that because I've been there and done that.

When I get into that frame of mind, and believe me, at 70 years old I still do ... Like Paul in Philippines 3,"forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." It isn't just about quoting the particular Scripture and thinking about it for a minute or two.

I have to apply it and do what it takes to change my thinking/attitude. I have no living family, live by myself, and retired 5 years now. No one to tell me to get up an do this or that. I have to be the driver to survive or not. With the help of the Lord I do what Paul said. When Satan brings those thoughts into my cranium I have to say 'get thee behind me Satan', and remember the high calling. Force myself to get into action even when I don't want to. So my prescription is see a doctor, but in the meanwhile try activity if inactivity isn't working. What do you have to lose ?

When you go to a doctor don't go to a psyche guy to begin with. Go to a GP and tell him what you've explained here. Get a physical and see if there is something in your blood work that accounts for your fatigue besides your inactivity. If it turns out you have a chemical imbalance at the root of your depression than you'll need physcotropic meds, but if you don't need them, and begin to take them, that would compound the problem AFAIC. Reread Perg and Sarah's posts.

Jonathan, take an old man's advice ... Idle hands are the devil's playthings, get a job or begin to force yourself to get out and do things. Even if it is walking a mile or two with no particular destination. Activity makes the time pass, and is a proven mood elevator.

I think, from reflecting on my own life as a young man, and now as an old one, that you are angry at your circumstances, and at yourself for being in those circumstances. Hence creating this malaise. I say that because I've been there and done that.

When I get into that frame of mind, and believe me, at 70 years old I still do ... Like Paul in Philippines 3,"forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." It isn't just about quoting the particular Scripture and thinking about it for a minute or two.

I have to apply it and do what it takes to change my thinking/attitude. I have no living family, live by myself, and retired 5 years now. No one to tell me to get up an do this or that. I have to be the driver to survive or not. With the help of the Lord I do what Paul said. When Satan brings those thoughts into my cranium I have to say 'get thee behind me Satan', and remember the high calling. Force myself to get into action even when I don't want to. So my prescription is see a doctor, but in the meanwhile try activity if inactivity isn't working. What do you have to lose ?

When you go to a doctor don't go to a psyche guy to begin with. Go to a GP and tell him what you've explained here. Get a physical and see if there is something in your blood work that accounts for your fatigue besides your inactivity. If it turns out you have a chemical imbalance at the root of your depression than you'll need physcotropic meds, but if you don't need them, and begin to take them, that would compound the problem AFAIC. Reread Perg and Sarah's posts.

It's too hard. I've tried,I get up, leave the horse, start walking, and and my mood isn't lifting but I just get angry. The more I'm forced to think in solitude about my own life, the more frustrated, the more unsettled and angry I get. I've done what you've suggested and I know that it's wrong to get as impatient and angry as I do. But I cant seem to stop myself. I quit my job because I was bored, and frustrated almost always. Working for no reason with no goal in mind, nothing to achieve, just for the sake of it. As normal and okay as that should be, it's not for me. And i do get feelings of despair and hopelessness. And I dont know how to stop. Either by prayer or willpower.

And yes I have a Drs appointment for tomorrow. Just a physical, for a full work up. Im not trying to jump straight to meds. I really do want to be checked out. But ive been on anti depressants before. And I'll have to mention that.

Jonathan, I have had several bouts of depression and I know how rough it can be. You feel like you are in a pit and you can't get out, sometimes you feel like that this will last forever, but it doesn't, it really doesn't. Hold on, just hold on and cry out the Lord. I am currently going through a rough time with problems at work and the death of my father. I thank God that I have Christian friends who are praying for me. Also, try reading the Psalms, I have found much wisdom and comfort in them.

Do something that makes you feel good. A long hot bath, listen to your favorite music, watch your favorite video, eat your favorite food, but above all else hold on to Jesus. Some days, I can barely get out of bed but I know that it will, one day, pass. I will pray for you.

Jonathan, I have had several bouts of depression and I know how rough it can be. You feel like you are in a pit and you can't get out, sometimes you feel like that this will last forever, but it doesn't, it really doesn't. Hold on, just hold on and cry out the Lord. I am currently going through a rough time with problems at work and the death of my father. I thank God that I have Christian friends who are praying for me. Also, try reading the Psalms, I have found much wisdom and comfort in them.

Do something that makes you feel good. A long hot bath, listen to your favorite music, watch your favorite video, eat your favorite food, but above all else hold on to Jesus. Some days, I can barely get out of bed but I know that it will, one day, pass. I will pray for you.

Thank you. Ive been reading a lot of Ecclesiastes lately. I'm trying to fear the Lord and keep His commandments while at the same time, enjoying life's small pleasures and simple blessings that come down from God. It's hard. It is. But I still have faith. I still love Him. Praise His name for that. It's just hard. That's all. Thank you for your prayers. I'm sorry for your loss..i ask that God will be a real comfort to you as well.

If you feel a lot of anger, take some boxing or MMA or Jui-jitsu classes and this will provide a controlled environment to blow off steam, and may give you a goal. Exercise helps, and hitting or choking people feels good.

If you are angry with your circumstances, what is necessary to change those circumstnaces? Can you join the army, get job training, move overseas, get a different job that you like?

Sorry to hear about the death of your father. No doubt this has contributed to your mood.

If you feel a lot of anger, take some boxing or MMA or Jui-jitsu classes and this will provide a controlled environment to blow off steam, and may give you a goal. Exercise helps, and hitting or choking people feels good.

If you are angry with your circumstances, what is necessary to change those circumstnaces? Can you join the army, get job training, move overseas, get a different job that you like?

Sorry to hear about the death of your father. No doubt this has contributed to your mood.

I barely feel motivated enough to get out of bed let alone do some type of exercise. Perhaps one of these days I will. For now it's a no go. Though I appreciate your words. Thank you.

Also, it wasn't *my* father that passed, that was another user who posted above mine.

I barely feel motivated enough to get out of bed let alone do some type of exercise. Perhaps one of these days I will. For now it's a no go. Though I appreciate your words. Thank you.

Also, it wasn't *my* father that passed, that was another user who posted above mine.

I think you need to push yourself. Fake it until you make it. If you are tired, go out in the park and lay down there instead of laying about at home only. Go feed the birds and nap there.

Hello Jonathan,

Could you talk a little about your walk with Christ, and your prayer life—how it is between you and Him?

Last edited:
This may not apply to you whatsoever so take it for it is (free advice on the Internet).

When I was feeling very sorry for myself the other day and starting to get into depression mode where the negative thoughts overwhelm everything else, I listened to a sermon by RC Sproul on the glory of Christ as the meaning for the creation of the world and my soul did a complete 180 from sorrow to joy. This was after I tried all kinds of other things to get my mind out of the rut it was in. Reading was extremely difficult as I had a hard time concentrating on the words as the negative thoughts kept crowding out everything else. So I turned to listening instead of reading and that really helped.

For me, there is something about repeated exposure to the truth of the glory of God that really fights negative moods for me. It lifts my eyes from myself to the one of infinite greatness and worth and feeds my soul.

I've also found that when I am feeling sorry for myself, my soul often needs rebuke and not coddling. It seems counter-intuitive since when you are in that state you feel very delicate like you can't handle any kind of rebuke. But for me, that is often exactly what I need since being consumed with myself and my situation is what is dragging me down. I'm focused entirely on my weakness and sorry state and powerlessness to change my situation. Instead, I know my soul needs to shift radically from myself to the Lord and repent of making my life all about me and not about Him and His glory. I need to focus on His great power and not my great weakness and inability.

So I would say for me, the formula for fighting depression is radical, thorough confession and repentance of all known sin and a focus on the glory of God.

I just want to thank everyone for the prayers and support. I was abke to gey checked out and put on meds that have essentially lifted the fog off of my life. Praise God. The fatigue is pretty much nonexistent and I feel as if I havr energy to do all that I want and need to do. Thank you once again. Love you guys.

Awesome! I will continue to pray. Don't beat yourself up about being depressed (that only makes it worse.) Wait patiently and prayerful for the Lord, and he will bring good things to pass.

I just want to thank everyone for the prayers and support. I was abke to gey checked out and put on meds that have essentially lifted the fog off of my life. Praise God. The fatigue is pretty much nonexistent and I feel as if I havr energy to do all that I want and need to do. Thank you once again. Love you guys.
I’m so happy for you! Stay the course!

Great news ! That is my Bible reading plan too by the way. Also check out D.A. Carson's commentary on the daily/nightly readings and it adds tremendously. Volume 1 for the morning, and volume 2 the evening readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back