Dealing with Feelings of Unworthiness, Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
I know I'm probably not the only one who can be prone to introspection. I believe introspection is good and profitable, but I can easily read Jonathon Edwards, McCheyene or J.C Ryle and come away from the experience believing I must not be saved at all. It's not that I don't have an interest in Christ, but I am totally aware of my shortcomings-- many of which place me solidly in the camp of unbelievers (according the articulations of such great men).

Does this ever happen to anyone else?

How do we keep this in balance? How much should we be listening to others, or what others write, as far as our qualifications for being saved? At what point do all the "things that we do" become a replacement for justification?

Am I making any sense?

~Rick

Read these men. Read the law. Become meek and lowly regarding your own righteousness and look to Christ. Trust in his active obedience and his imputed righteousness and the gift of the Comforter.

Definitely understand where you're coming from.

...I can easily read Jonathon Edwards, McCheyene or J.C Ryle and come away from the experience believing I must not be saved at all. It's not that I don't have an interest in Christ, but I am totally aware of my shortcomings-- many of which place me solidly in the camp of unbelievers (according the articulations of such great men).

Am I making any sense?
~Rick

I can relate from my theological readings in my early-to-mid twenties... part of that impulse/feeling you expressed is a psychological realization of our worthiness and our bittersweet realization that we simply do not deserve salvation -- neither you or I -- and it humbles us, but it also magnifies God's abundant grace and mercy. Also, I don't think anybody can leave Armininism without being humbled and undergoing these sort of feelings. Likewise, when one really delves deep into the doctrines of grace it may elicit such feelings, though regeneration may well have long preceeded our deep intellectual assent to sovereign grace.

Feelings of brokenness are part of God's training and chastening that we might be humbled and progress in sanctification... I wouldn't get dismayed, as I have been in those shoes... We find our solace by setting our sights on the promises of God, and seeking his grace to do his will. We gain assurance I guess by our continued willingness to persevere even when we stumble countless times.

Daily in thought, word and deed I break God's law, by sins of commission as well as sins of omission. If I add up my "good deeds," which are really as filthy rags, and compare them with the vileness of my own heart at the end of each day, I am reminded that my salvation is of grace, not of works.

I find that myself saying with the publican,

God be merciful to me a sinner. (Luke 18.13)

and with the Psalmist,

If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared. (Ps. 130.3-4)

and with the father in Mark,

Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. (Mk. 9.24)

and with Paul, the chief of sinners,

But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (Rom. 5.20)

and

thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 15.57)

Thanks for your responses.

Part of my problem is how keenly aware I am of the abuse potential in a passage such as Romans 8:28-39. It can easily become an antinomian pillar text. It needs the balance these great men bring to it. Early in my Christian walk I was introduced to the wrong folks via the internet, the Grace Evangelical Society-- so I know the depths of antinomianism that are possible!

[Edited on 9-22-2005 by Rick Larson]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Daily in thought, word and deed I break God's law, by sins of commission as well as sins of omission. If I add up my "good deeds," which are really as filthy rags, and compare them with the vileness of my own heart at the end of each day, I am reminded that my salvation is of grace, not of works.

I find that myself saying with the publican,

God be merciful to me a sinner. (Luke 18.13)

and with the Psalmist,

If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared. (Ps. 130.3-4)

and with the father in Mark,

Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. (Mk. 9.24)

and with Paul, the chief of sinners,

But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (Rom. 5.20)

and

thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 15.57)

Thanks, Andrew. I will be memorizing those verses! (not because I believe it will make me more accepted by God, mind you) ;)

Originally posted by Rick Larson
Thanks for your responses.

No problem... You know such comments can be uplifting for others... It's comforting to know at times we're not alone in our spiritual walk and others experience similar feelings, is not? It should humble the believer and unify us. We're sinners saved by God's grace -- nothing more nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back