Death and Preparation, also a Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
The Rev. Benjamin Morgan Palmer lived through the deaths of 5 of his six children, and his wife. His book, The Broken Home, accounts the personalities and final conversations and days with his dying family. I cannot recommend this book enough. For me, the first chapter was a little difficult to understand, but the second chapter fully captured my attention. It is quite sad, but also encouraging, and beneficial.

From The Broken Home, Ch. I, pg. 14-15:

"'This little soul which I had hoped to lead through knowledge up to God, must I not lead it still in another way, seeing that He calls for it from above? Ah, Saviour, if this be Thy voice saying as of old, 'of such is the kingdom of Heaven,' who am I that I should forbid? If to be taken into Thine arms is to be blessed forever, then, like the Hebrew mothers, let me bring this little one to Thee, even in death, for the great benediction. Oh, troubled heart, be still, and learn that no selfishness can be in love; that He who loves his Master withholds nothing, when He has need of it; and he who loves his child will sink all sense of loss in the everlasting gain to it, of lying safe upon the bosom of the Shepherd.' Thus the sharp struggle between nature and grace was ended in the submission which said, 'not my will, but thine, be done.'"

The first chapter, describing the death of his infant/toddler first-born son is almost poetic, but the chapters afterward describe conversations he had with his daughters, who were upon their death beds, about their preparedness for death.

Have any of you written anything about what you desire if you are upon your death bed? Scripture, books, songs to be read/sung over you in your dying estate? This book prompted me to write a few things down I desire if I am about to die, and for my funeral.

Oh man, this is a tough one. I haven’t written down any requested words to be read. If I did, I suppose maybe the following. If I’ve got hours, maybe read me the Gospels. If I have just an hour, maybe the Gospel of John. If I have minutes, read me Luke 23:39-43.

Have any of you written anything about what you desire if you are upon your death bed? Scripture, books, songs to be read/sung over you in your dying estate? This book prompted me to write a few things down, I desire if I am about to die, and for my funeral.

I have pondered death since I was first a Christian. That's 47 years now. I used to go to the local cemetery in the early mornings for devotions. There is nothing like death to give you a perspective on life, and it's brevity. My wife says I've been dying since I was about 30 years old. Our burial site is bought and paid for. So is everything else except the caskets and headstone. I have written all my wishes to my family and a few wishes of my own. Psalm 90 is to be read by my youngest son David. Even all the dos and don't about keeping me alive artificially. I used the Five Wishes site to fill out just about everything. https://fivewishes.org/

On the lighter side. Here's a link to a post I made on the PB about six months ago.
Death is a very serious subject, but this was meant to be light-hearted. It's called I Picked Out a Casket.

I have pondered death since I was first a Christian. That's 47 years now. I used to go to the local cemetery in the early mornings for devotions. There is nothing like death to give you a perspective on life, and it's brevity. My wife says I've been dying since I was about 30 years old. Our burial site is bought and paid for. So is everything else except the caskets and headstone. I have written all my wishes to my family and a few wishes of my own. Psalm 90 is to be read by my youngest son David. Even all the dos and don't about keeping me alive artificially. I used the Five Wishes site to fill out just about everything. https://fivewishes.org/

On the lighter side. Here's a link to a post I made on the PB about six months ago.
Death is a very serious subject, but this was meant to be light-hearted. It's called I Picked Out a Casket.

I must be like you Mr. Walsh. I can never understand how someone could be creeped out by a cemetery, unless they believed in ghost stories. I had always thought of things I might like at my funeral, but reading The Broken Home finally encouraged me to write those down, plus I wrote down some things I would like said and done if it is known I am about to die. I will share some of the things I wrote after I finish it.

Oh man, this is a tough one. I haven’t written down any requested words to be read. If I did, I suppose maybe the following. If I’ve got hours, maybe read me the Gospels. If I have just an hour, maybe the Gospel of John. If I have minutes, read me Luke 23:39-43.

If you're reading this, it's not too late my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back