Decay of Sabbath Keeping and Decay of Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim Standard

Puritan Board Sophomore
The decay of Sabbath Keeping, I find to be the willful rejection of God’s Blessing, and the willful embracing of God’s wrath. Lest we harden our hearts against the Lord’s Day, I implore us all to not only remember to love and embrace the Lord’s Day & look forward to the blessed gift of our King Jesus, but to teach others to do so also. Joshua has a length of posts encouraging the love of God in this manner. Press hard brethren. Not only our society, but the churches in our society necessarily, are failing here.

A major issue leading to the decay of our society is the active embrace of God’s wrath in lieu of loving his blessing especially in this manner. It should be abhorrent and shameful to disregard the Sabbath in our society. Today, many know nothing of the practice itself.

"Down with the Damage cause by Dispensationalism"

WLC
Q. 120. What are the reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it?
A. The reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it, are taken from the equity of it, God allowing us six days of seven for our own affairs, and reserving but one for himself, in these words, Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: from God's challenging a special propriety in that day, The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God : from the example of God, who in six days made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: and from that blessing which God put upon that day, not only in sanctifying it to be a day for his service, but in ordaining it to be a means of blessing to us in our sanctifying it; Wherefore the lord blessed the sabbath-day, and hallowed it.

Amen.

"A well-spent Sabbath we feel to be a day of heaven upon earth. For this reason we wish our Sabbaths to be wholly given to God. We love to spend the whole time in the public and private exercises of God's worship, except so much as is taken up in the works of necessity and mercy. We love to rise early on that morning, and to sit up late, that we may have a long day with God. How many may know from this that they will never be in heaven! A straw on the surface can tell which way the stream is flowing. Do you abhor a holy Sabbath? Is it a kind of hell to you to be with those who are strict in keeping the Lord's day? The writer of these lines once felt as you do. You are restless and uneasy. You say, "Behold what a weariness is it" "When will the Sabbath be gone, that we may sell corn?" Ah! soon, very soon, and you will be in hell. Hell is the only place for you. Heaven is one long, never-ending, holy Sabbath-day. There are no Sabbaths in hell."
(Robert Murray M'Cheyne, "I Love the Lord's Day")

Last edited by a moderator:
[emphasis added]
Q. 121. Why is the word Remember set in the beginning of the fourth commandment?

A. The word Remember is set in the beginning of the fourth commandment,[637] partly, because of the great benefit of remembering it, we being thereby helped in our preparation to keep it,[638] and, in keeping it, better to keep all the rest of the commandments,[639] and to continue a thankful remembrance of the two great benefits of creation and redemption, which contain a short abridgment of religion;[640] and partly, because we are very ready to forget it,[641] for that there is less light of nature for it,[642] and yet it restraineth our natural liberty in things at other times lawful;[643] that it cometh but once in seven days, and many worldly businesses come between, and too often take off our minds from thinking of it, either to prepare for it, or to sanctify it;[644] and that Satan with his instruments labours much to blot out the glory, and even the memory of it, to bring in all irreligion and impiety.[645]

PS 119:134-136 "Deliver me from the oppression of man: so will I keep thy precepts. Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; and teach me thy statutes. Rivers of waters run down mine eyes, because they keep not thy law."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back