Deceitful above all things

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning, Works, p. 124:

I think every man almost entertains this secret persuasion in his breast, – that his nature may be weak, yet it is not wicked; it may be helped with education, and care, and diligence, and dressed till it please God, and profit others. Who is persuaded in heart that he is an enemy to God, and cannot be subject to God’s law? Who believes that his “heart is desperately wicked?” Oh! it is indeed “deceitful above all things;” and in this most deceitful, that it persuades you ye have a good heart to God.

I am afraid to ask though I will knowing that my lack of faith in Jesus is covered by His grace and I wish to say I ask the following with fear.

When I read quotes like this one I wonder why the qualifier is not supplied for the regenerate person who's "heart" is beating for God is no longer totally deceived. In other words, the saint and sinner qualification is invaluable while knowing that any good work we do falls short. Is this a case where Pastor Binning is simply teaching that without faith (be it believer or unbeliever) it is impossible to please God?

Earl,

The context will probably answer the question. Right after the quote above, he says:

I beseech you once, consider that ye are born out of Christ Jesus. Ye conceive that ye are born and educated Christians; ye have that name indeed from infancy, and are baptized. But I ask about the thing; baptism of water doth not implant you into Jesus Christ. Nay, it declares this much unto you, that by nature ye are far off from Jesus, and wholly defiled,—all your imaginations only evil. Now, I beseech you, how came the change? Or is there a change? Are not the most part of men the old men,—no new creatures? He that is in Christ is a new creature, 2 Cor. v. 17. Ye have now Adam’s nature, which ye had first.

He seems to be pricking the consciences of those who would look to their status in church and baptism for their assurance.

Our flesh is still totally depraved, but we are no longer in slavery to it, though we will live with it until glory.

Hope this helps...

Earl,

The context will probably answer the question. Right after the quote above, he says:

I beseech you once, consider that ye are born out of Christ Jesus. Ye conceive that ye are born and educated Christians; ye have that name indeed from infancy, and are baptized. But I ask about the thing; baptism of water doth not implant you into Jesus Christ. Nay, it declares this much unto you, that by nature ye are far off from Jesus, and wholly defiled,—all your imaginations only evil. Now, I beseech you, how came the change? Or is there a change? Are not the most part of men the old men,—no new creatures? He that is in Christ is a new creature, 2 Cor. v. 17. Ye have now Adam’s nature, which ye had first.

He seems to be pricking the consciences of those who would look to their status in church and baptism for their assurance.

Our flesh is still totally depraved, but we are no longer in slavery to it, though we will live with it until glory.

Hope this helps...

I strongly suspected such and thank you for the complete context which makes Rev. Winzer's post even more comforting to one who is a believer and to prick the conscience for the unbeliever and believer alike.

I strongly suspected such and thank you for the complete context which makes Rev. Winzer's post even more comforting to one who is a believer and to prick the conscience for the unbeliever and believer alike.

It is good that you note there is an application to the believer as well as the unbeliever. The deceitful heart indwells the believer though it doesn't exercise dominion over him; and the law shows him there is no good thing in him by nature, which gives him reason not to trust his heart, but to trust to Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back