Decent translation w/o Chapter/Verse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Bailey

Puritan Board Freshman
All, does anyone know of a decent translation that is published without chapter and verse? (especially verse markings...I could probably live with chapters). I'm not talking about a "streamlined" or "story" novel-type, but a regular, decent true translation.

I've heard, and believe, that if we read the Bible that way, it would change a lot of the way that we perceive what we read (it should support contextual views rather than single verse bumper-sticker doctrines).

Thanks,
Brian

It was the Geneva Bible that first introduced verse numbering. I don't know of any modern translations that fit the bill, but you may find a copy somewhere of a very early Reformation translation that meets your requirements. However, the language issues may prove difficult. Sorry that doesn't sound like much help.

Alternative route is to either go with a bible software program such as Bibleworks or Libronix and export the Bible without the numbering.

Or you could fine a translation such as the KJV online and do a find and replace for numbers. Replace the numbers with blanks. You could then print it out on front and back and 3 ring bind it. Not the most elegant solution but it would work.

Well, that got me thinking...
and I just went and played with E-Sword. It'll let me copy and paste a book at a time, with no Ch/Verse marks (but it doesn't have any paragraphs, either).

Attention Hebrew/Greek scholars--what would the autographs most likely contain? Would they have paragraph distinctions?

BTW, I'd still like to find a published version, if possible--(printer cartridges are expensive!)

Thanks,
Brian

[Edited on 22-10-2004 by George Bailey]

It's very rare, but if you can find the Swann New Testament it may be just the ticket for you. It's translated from Westcott-Hort and it is broken into sections but the breaks are very different from the traditional chapters and verses.

I don't know if you can find one of these. They were published in 1947.
God speed!

I own a New Testament, version = New English Bible, that is set up the way you would like to read it. There are tiny little verse markers and chapter markers in the margins, but the text itself is unimpeded by them.

I would not recommend this version for regular Bible study. It bears hallmarks of its eccumenical sponsorship and liberal bias, most obviously (perhaps) in Rom 3:25, where C.H. Dodd's influence is seen: 'propitiation' replaced with 'expiation' (Gk. hilaskomai). Elsewhere (1 John) translators simply ducked the issue.

But, since this would not be your only or even primary Bible, it might serve your purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back