Decisions, decisions - simple or technical commentaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelGao

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi folks,
Help a layman make some decisions on commentaries!
As I have come to know how limited study bibles are, Im considering starting to purchase commentaries.

The decisions I face is whether I should go for the comprehensive technical ones or the simple devotional ones like from the Bible speaks today and Let's Study series.

I do not see myself ever having a library with multiple commentaries on the same book.
So I would not want to get the basic ones now if they are so limited in usefulness that I would have to get the denser ones later on.

So are the basic ones really really shallow that they will wear out in use really quickly?
Are the meaty ones really that much better in comparison for personal study purposes?
Or is the difference just the icing on the cake that only very serious students and preachers can appreciate?
And are the meaty ones so much more technical that is laborious to work through for the average layman as myself? Time is the factor here, as they are so much longer.

If anyone who have used BST or Let's Study series, how are they? my preference is to get these since they are much cheaper and shorter in length. And the fact that BST has received commendation from D.A. Carson.

I don't have BST, but I'd say for a first commentary set, go with Calvin; you get a bit of both, and he is 'the Reformed Standard' ... plus, with most of the sales that are on the internet, you can find him cheap.

And if you don't want to go with with Calvin, try to get as many of the Baker Exegetical series as you can; some of the best that I have seen.

I second the Baker series, as well as the Zondervan Expositor's Bible Commentary edited by Gaebelein. My policy is that if I am going to shell out a lot of money, I want it to be as exegetical as possible because one can find much devotional info online for free.

I love the Bible Speaks Today and the Tyndale Series. Also I have found the Welwyn series quite helpful as well.

The technical commentaries can get very boring and esoteric if you are trying to read them as a book.

If I was getting a series for personal study I'd get Tyndale or BST or Welwyn.

Thanks heaps Benjamin, I see there are quite a few cheap ones from Tyndale series on Christianbook for US$5...very cheap!

On the note of Calvin, I figured I could read him on the computer, no need to purchase the actual books.

The baker series intimidate me with their costs and size.

I'm wondering if someone can illustrate the difference between devotional and exegetical?
Does devotional just mean more shallow?
Because I would think every commentary has to be exegetical..since thats what commentaries are for, right?

Or am I missing something here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back