Decline of respect for authority in our society

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkmanrl

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone may be able to recommend a paperback book title that would teach about the believers' responsibility to respect authority.

Here's the basic thought: a fundamental aspect of Satan's character is to reject authority. Mankind has absorbed this rebellion against authority, and it has been so ingrained, some believers don't seem to be aware of it.

In the jail environment, which is my target audience, the callousness toward authority is even more prominent. Often I've heard prisoners react against the correction officers' reasonable rules with disrespect. Sometimes, individuals have claimed that Satan is persecuting them through the officers, even though many of them are believers, and the rules are reasonable. I have been amused by such claims, and amazed by the level of self-deception that is revealed by the claims.

I can talk about the topic myself, but on average, due to multiple volunteer chaplains, I won't see a given block more than a few times a month. So, I try to give books to prisoners that address particular topics like this.

Anyways, the widespread disrespect for authority of any type in our society today is very disheartening. I realize that some authority figures are abusive, but the overall decline in disrespect for authority is very concerning.

I really dislike all these "first amendment audits" that are basically provoking police officers to behave inappropriately in order to make accusations in court.

Regards,

Robert

Another related question might be..which accounts in Scripture would be good to teach from, concerning disrespect for authority? Korah, Dathan, and Abiram come to mind, as well as Romans 13.

It's Rodney King's fault. Or more specifically, the media's use of Rodney King. Back when cops had billy clubs (or slap jacks) and used them, there was much more respect for authority. Now, no consequences, no respect.

As for material on authority, I always start with the Westminster Larger Catechism and its treatment of the 5th Commandment. See questions 127 and 128.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back