Denominationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

xapis

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings!
I am looking to do some research on denominationalism. Can anyone here recommend any good books that deal with this topic?

:gpl:

Thanks in advance.

'Evangelical Reunion: Denominations and the One Body of Christ' by John Frame.

'Nelson's Guide to Denominations' by J. Gordon Melton

'Dictionary of the Presbyterian & Reformed Tradition in America' by D. G. Hart and Mark A. Noll

'Old Evangelicalism' and 'Evangelicalism Divided' by Iain Murray.

'Deconstructing Evangelicalism: Conservative Protestantism in the Age of Billy Graham' by D. G. Hart

These are some broad suggestions but if you really want to study denominationalism you need to pick up the best books written on Particular denominations. I'd be happy to suggest some of those if you wished.

Are you looking from a historical development angle or a theological survey angle?

I was intentionally vague. But my purpose, ultimately, is to defend denominationalism against the common critiques of non-denominational and anti-denominational types.

Ogden, Greg. The New Reformation: Returning the Ministry to the People of God. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 1990.

This covers what (I think) is the theological shift that paved the way to anti-denominationism in recent times. Those suggested by Keith are good. I'd start with Murray and Noll.

Thanks for these suggestions, brothers. I'm sure this list will get me going in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back