Denominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
My son wants me to explain to him what makes denominations different.

I pretty much know what makes Baptists distinct. I also am aware of the differences in the views of baptism. But I know very little about Presbyterian, Anglican and Episcopalian forms of government. Can anyone help me?

Yes, in a nutshell: we're right and they're wrong. :)

(okay, I'll post a better answer later, just wanted to get a laugh)

That's quite a request, it's much easier to compare any two. Here is a site we're you might want to start. It give some comparison charts of the major denominations.

That's quite a request, it's much easier to compare any two. Here is a site we're you might want to start. It give some comparison charts of the major denominations.

This looks handy. What is interesting is that under the 'Major Churches in the USA' heading it lists PCUSA! Apparently from the viewpoint of those who made the comparison chart, PCUSA is Reformed/Presbyterian. Would you agree, or are there differences? (Besides the issue of male headship) :detective:

Pastor Ken,
there is a forward slash (/) between those words and that is a pretty significant line of separation. The PCUSA is a very liberal denomination these days. It's just about anything goes. It is in no way reformed and definitely not Reformed.

PCUSA is Presbyterian like Princeton is Presbyterian. It used to be great and but now sheds very little light in a dark world.

I guess I am wanting to understand the different views on church government between historical presbyterianism and episcopalianism. I assume that Presbyterians believe in a 'presbyteros' form vs. an 'episkopos' form. But in Acts 20 and Tit 1 these terms seem to be virtually interchangeable. What is the difference? Both have synods or sessions or councils or presbyteries over a group of churches right? So what is the difference? :candle:

Basically presbyterians see bishop and presbyter as referring to the same office whereas episcopalians see the bishop as a higher office than the presbyter. In presbyterian polity, Presbytery/Classis, Synod, and General Assembly are higher/broader courts made up of presbyters who are equals. Episcopol polity is hierarchical. Synods and councils are made up of bishops. Often there are different levels of bishops or priority is given to the bishop who occupies a certain seat.

Basically presbyterians see bishop and presbyter as referring to the same office whereas episcopalians see the bishop as a higher office than the presbyter. In presbyterian polity, Presbytery/Classis, Synod, and General Assembly are higher/broader courts made up of presbyters who are equals. Episcopol polity is hierarchical. Synods and councils are made up of bishops. Often there are different levels of bishops or priority is given to the bishop who occupies a certain seat.

Thank you, that was the answer I needed.

And of course, there's the simple differences on theological issues (credobaptist vs paedobaptist/charismatic vs cessationist, etc...) that will account for a large portion of denominational groups in existence.

A lot of 'micro'denominations (usually one church or two churches calling themselves 'independent' or 'non-denominational) have been popping up as of late, mainly in charismatic circles because most of the people who come out of these groups don't have a full concept of the church as universal, but instead approach it as individuals.

A lot of 'micro'denominations (usually one church or two churches calling themselves 'independent' or 'non-denominational) have been popping up as of late, mainly in charismatic circles because most of the people who come out of these groups don't have a full concept of the church as universal, but instead approach it as individuals.
In Presbyterian circles its because we can't play well together.

In Presbyterian circles its because we can't play well together.

Someone took their John Knox statue and went home, eh ? :lol:

knox_john1600b.jpg

Just curious as to how one would explain what a "non-denominational" church is? These type of Churches seem to be everywhere. Just go to your public schools on Sunday and you can find them meeting there. "come as you are" "no need to change", " We want you to have a "feel good" type of experience. Because we are about having a emotional/spiritual feel happy type experience. And don't worry we won't talk to you about Hell. God is a Loving God, Not a condemming God. :2cents:

Well, in a nutshell, my observation has been this:

Your typical 'non-denominational church' is a church where someone has taken a surface look at 1 Corinthians 3, hasn't taken the time to study church history, has a really loose grasp on sound doctrine, works from a hermeneutic of 'love is the most important thing in the bible' and says 'all this division is bad!' - so they eschew all labels and theological categories except for calling themselves 'Christian' and saying that they believe the bible.

Usually, most are Arminian and charismatic/pentecostal. Experience-driven type folks.

Well, in a nutshell, my observation has been this:

Your typical 'non-denominational church' is a church where someone has taken a surface look at 1 Corinthians 3, hasn't taken the time to study church history, has a really loose grasp on sound doctrine, works from a hermeneutic of 'love is the most important thing in the bible' and says 'all this division is bad!' - so they eschew all labels and theological categories except for calling themselves 'Christian' and saying that they believe the bible.

Usually, most are Arminian and charismatic/pentecostal. Experience-driven type folks.

Do you think that there is really any accountablity with these non denominational churches. And if there is do they really practice it. It seems to me that some of these churches are out "doing their own thing". They seem to be rather "worldly". But hey we are culturally sensitive!!! And we have to cater to the culture!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back