Status
Not open for further replies.

FrielWatcher

Puritan Board Sophomore
From the Desiring God blog

Conference Book Recommendations
September 26, 2008 | By: David Mathis
Category: Recommendations
Over 1,400 different titles. Almost 35,000 items. The Desiring God Conference Bookstore is stacked high, and now it’s a step more accessible—many steps actually.

For this weekend’s conference-goers (and we know that most reading this post will not be at the conference, but our list of recommended books should be relevant to all!), the DG bookstore is located in the same exhibition hall as the sessions. The effect: less walking and more time browsing books.

Here’s a handful of recommendations to whet the appetites of those shopping at the conference and those staying at home.

The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World by Stephen Nichols

Thank God for Stephen Nichols. This excellent, brief introduction to the Reformation is another helpful contribution from his keyboard. Also recommended: his new Jesus Made in America: A History from the Puritans to the Passion of the Christ.

Radical Reformission: Reaching Out Without Selling Out by Mark Driscoll

Yes, this is Mark’s first book. He’s published several since, and that may have left this one forgotten by some. But it shouldn’t be. It’s instructive, inspiring, and written by a guy who manifestly loves Jesus, the gospel, and lost people in Seattle (and models how to love lost people in your city).

The Doctrine of the Christian Life by John Frame

Another mammoth and magnificent one from Dr. Frame. His Doctrine of God is 800 pages. This new volume is 1,000. Yes, that’s long, but it’s a treasury of wealth on ethics. So, the longer, the better, right? I haven’t finished it yet, but I intend to, even if it takes several years. What I’ve read so far has been excellent.

The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction by Sinclair Ferguson

Not to be confused with Frame’s title above, this jewel runs through “the order of salvation,” covering the doctrines of election, calling, new birth, justification, sanctification, assurance, glorification, and more. Very accessible for its depth.

Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis

Just released in the US, this is a provocative and beneficial read. We interviewed Tim Chester at the DG blog earlier this week.

The Reason for God by Tim Keller

Keller’s Reason for God is a tremendously helpful book in strengthening your own faith and thinking how to engage non-Christians. Also a beautiful demonstration of what apologetics should be: practical and presuppositional.

Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health by Don Whitney

Everything I’ve read by Whitney has been good, but this may be his best. I’ve found it useful on the college campus and in the church.

Game Day for the Glory of God: A Guide for Athletes, Fans, & Wannabes by Stephen Altrogge

It just landed on my desk, so I haven’t read it yet, but it looked good as I read the back and flipped through. Here’s why I’m planning to read it: Because I’m a Christian and a sports fan, and I want to think better through how my time playing and watching sports should be lived to God’s glory. And this book is barely a hundred pages—short enough for the stereotypical sports fan.

The Everlasting Righteousness by Horatius Bonar

This is undiluted gospel. Take up and read on the first page: “The voice from the tree did not summon them to do, but to be satisfied with what was done.” Then keep reading. His section on how Christians will remember the cross in heaven is glorious. Those who don’t yet know Bonar will be happy they found him sooner than later.

New Piper Titles

We also have several new Piper titles:

Spectacular Sins
This Momentary Marriage
Rethinking Retirement

Conference Speakers

It’s a prolific lineup of speakers at this event. We have 8 titles from Driscoll, 18 from Ferguson, 2 from Bob Kauflin (and several worship CDs), 5 from Dan Taylor, and 6 from Paul Tripp.

Publishers on Hand

One final note. Representatives from the following publishers will be available in the bookstore:

Banner of Truth
Christian Audio.com
Christian Focus Publications
Crossway Books
Moody Press
P&R Publishing
Reformation Heritage Books
Shepherd Press

Please don't look at the link for Piper's new book "Spectacular Sins" - you might idolize the cover of the book.

The DG National Conference actually starts today: The Power of Words and the Wonder of God

I am anticipating the release of the mp3s of the conference messages as Mark Driscoll, John Piper and Sinclair Ferguson are speaking.

Enjoy!

The book shopping was fantastic! I came in right on budget. I do all my shopping the first night, or even before the conference starts. Many books sell out quickly.

My husband and I also appreciated the conference. We have had several great conversations about what we heard and I anticipate more.

Awesome. Glad to here it. I have heard that people at these conferences pile up on books, spend a ton.

When I was at church today, I overheard a fellow talking about the DGNC. Interesting stuff.

Please don't look at the link for Piper's new book "Spectacular Sins" - you might idolize the cover of the book.

Thanks for the warning. Had it not been for your cautionary advice, my eyes would have been drawn to study that minuscule picture to determine what it was, and upon seeing that it was a picture portraying, among others, Jesus, I might have been tempted to worship that image.

Thanks for allowing me to be prepared to survive the onslaught of my idolatrous heart.

Hey! I'm just looking out for everyone's best interest. We have to be careful as to what we might possibly look at and then potentially fall into the pit because we decided to idolize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back