Development of the Catholic Mass and Orthodox Divine Liturgy

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.

Puritan Board Sophomore
Morning Friends,

Does anyone know of any resources (printed, audio, electronic) that discusses the elements of the Catholic Mass and the Orthodox Divine Liturgy?

I'm specifically looking for something in the historical theology vein that covers liturgical developments and the doctrine/beliefs that underpin the various elements of worship in the churches of the west and east. A secondary interest is a Reformation-era critique of these liturgies and something that discusses how these practices were reformed.

Thanks in advance!

The first book is by an Anglican but traces the various elements of the "Catholic Liturgy" throughout history. Same with the second but with particular reference to the Roman Liturgy. The 3rd should bring you up to date with post Vatican II liturgy. Hughes Oliphant Old has a 6 volume series tracing the preaching and reading of Scripture throughout the history of the church up to modern day. The patristic and medieval volumes (I and II) could be helpful assuming he addresses the lectionaries, homilies, and preaching introduced in those eras.

In terms of Reformation-era critiques, William Ames A Fresh Suit Against Human Ceremonies and George Gillespie's English Popish Ceremonies are probably the top contenders for critiques against introductions into liturgy contra biblical and Apostolical liturgy/worship.

Morning Friends,

Does anyone know of any resources (printed, audio, electronic) that discusses the elements of the Catholic Mass and the Orthodox Divine Liturgy?

I'm specifically looking for something in the historical theology vein that covers liturgical developments and the doctrine/beliefs that underpin the various elements of worship in the churches of the west and east. A secondary interest is a Reformation-era critique of these liturgies and something that discusses how these practices were reformed.

Thanks in advance!
@DTK is your man...

The Liturgy of St John Chrysostom is A LOT older than most Protestants would probably admit. Even predating the (arbitrarily decided) not good popes. That said, claims that "Everyone, everywhere, and at all times said the same liturgy" is just stupid, if I can be nice about it.

And the Troparion to the Theotokos in its current form is from the 9th century, which means it wasn't apostolic.

The historical introduction is quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back