Did God Create in 6 Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy,
What is the version of Hall's paper in the book? I did a bit of research work for him. Several versions of David's paper are online such as here.

Buy it direct. The conference CDs of the conferences for the last 10 years is only $99. Contact the seminary and ask for the bookstore.

Honestly, I must say that I have used these books for all kinds of things - they are more relevant than alot of the conference material that is out there. For a small seminary, GPTS puts together some good conferences. And they are cheap too.

The best book I've used in the series is the one on Sanctification.

Chris.

Randy,
What is the version of Hall's paper in the book? I did a bit of research work for him. Several versions of David's paper are online such as here.

Chris,
It looks more like the revised one that the first one links to. But it is still a little different I think. It is outstanding and quite forceful in requiring those who wish to make the Divines say something that they didn't, fess up to wishful thinking or to produce better material that proves the Divines held to a long age day interpretation. Because of the challenges to his first paper, David Hall went back to search out the sources and they still come up short according to his revision which is evidently only an improvement upon his first paper.

I really appreciated seeing how Morton Smith put this in a historical perspective (per the denominations) in the first chapter of the book. I am still plowing my way through it slowly.

You want to know something. I am reading this book because of my son Joshua Caleb. He has been discussing this stuff with his teacher and class at School and confounding him. Josh had a test on evolution and flunked it because he wrote truthful answers to the questions. Boy is he in trouble now. NOT.

Josh has had to learn to be respectful. The teacher Mr. Steven's did try to pull one on the students by asking why would God create all the little insects and smaller life. Josh just replied, "because he wanted to." Simple answers for complex minds. I would have said something to the effect of God's Glory is revealed... yadda... yadda... yadda...... and they are a part of the food chain. Sometimes simple is good. :lol:

You have a good boy.:) Actually, I'm familiar with the research (see footnote 51 in the linked paper); but I had forgotten what transpired because I think David had an expanding set of papers originally as the researched advanced; and I wondered if he simply combined them. I guess I should buy the book.:think:
Randy,

Chris,
It looks more like the revised one that the first one links to. But it is still a little different I think. It is outstanding and quite forceful in requiring those who wish to make the Divines to say something that they didn't fess up to wishful thinking or to produce better material that proves the Divines held to a long age day interpretation. Because of those challenges David Hall went back to search out the sources and they still come up short according to his revision which is evidently only an improvement upon his first paper.

I really appreciated seeing how Morton Smith put this in a historical perspective (per the denominations) in the first chapter of the book. I am still plowing my way through it slowly.

You want to know something. I am reading this book because of my son Joshua Caleb. He has been discussing this stuff with his teacher and class at School and confounding him. Josh had a test on evolution and flunked it because he wrote truthful answers to the questions. Boy is he in trouble now. NOT.

Josh has had to learn to be respectful. The teacher Mr. Steven's did try to pull one on the students by asking why would God create all the little insects and smaller life. Josh just replied because he wanted to. Simple answers for complex minds. I would have said something to the effect of God's Glory is revealed... yadda... yadda... yadda...... and they are a part of the food chain. Sometimes simple is good. :lol:

I kindly asked Chris if he could unlock this old thread, as I've just received my copy of Did God Create in 6 Days? I've read the first two chapters and am midway through the third and can't put the book down.

Who else has read it? What are your thoughts?

Did any of my fellow ARP-ers note that Morton Smith singles us out for exclusion in the third sentence of his chapter? Ouch! I would have been interested in a little Seceder history in addition to the PCUS/PCA history.

Also, does anyone know how to get a hold of a copy of Dr. Frank J. Smith's PhD dissertation "The Philosophy of Science in Late Nineteenth Century Southern Presbyterianism"? I'd love to read that, but can't find it in the CUNY catalog (which seems to be not working) and I can't find any contact information online for Dr. Smith. (I'd like to ask him a couple of things about his article in the Confessional Presbyterian "American Presbyterianism, Geology, and the Days of Creation.")

Seth,
Send me an email or PM for Frank's contact info.

I kindly asked Chris if he could unlock this old thread, as I've just received my copy of Did God Create in 6 Days? I've read the first two chapters and am midway through the third and can't put the book down.

Who else has read it? What are your thoughts?

Did any of my fellow ARP-ers note that Morton Smith singles us out for exclusion in the third sentence of his chapter? Ouch! I would have been interested in a little Seceder history in addition to the PCUS/PCA history.

Also, does anyone know how to get a hold of a copy of Dr. Frank J. Smith's PhD dissertation "The Philosophy of Science in Late Nineteenth Century Southern Presbyterianism"? I'd love to read that, but can't find it in the CUNY catalog (which seems to be not working) and I can't find any contact information online for Dr. Smith. (I'd like to ask him a couple of things about his article in the Confessional Presbyterian "American Presbyterianism, Geology, and the Days of Creation.")

Six days or not--it doesn't matter to me. What is central is not the length of time it took to get to Adam's sin; what is central is rather the fact that Adam did sin and brought us all into this terrible position with him.

Six days or not--it doesn't matter to me. What is central is not the length of time it took to get to Adam's sin; what is central is rather the fact that Adam did sin and brought us all into this terrible position with him.

"Creation ordinances" are important too. If some primeval order prevailed before the sin of Adam then one could not appeal to sabbath and marriage as things which existed "in the beginning," as we witness in the ethical teaching of Jesus.

Another good book to read about this matter is The Battle for the Beginning by John MacArthur. Gets a little off focus (okay more than a little in some places) and is all I have read on this subject, so it may not be the best, but it presents a clear case for the necessity of a 6 day creation in Scripture.

"Creation ordinances" are important too. If some primeval order prevailed before the sin of Adam then one could not appeal to sabbath and marriage as things which existed "in the beginning," as we witness in the ethical teaching of Jesus.

What might be an example of one of those things that existed in the beginning?

What might be an example of one of those things that existed in the beginning?

Sabbath -- Mark 2:27, "And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath."

Marriage -- Matt. 19:4, "And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female."

Sabbath -- Mark 2:27, "And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath."

Marriage -- Matt. 19:4, "And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female."

There's nothing in the supposition that the world is very very old and creation was not in a literal six days that precludes God resting from his creative work for some period of time, or the first two human beings being man and woman (which is necessary anyway).

There's nothing in the supposition that the world is very very old and creation was not in a literal six days that precludes God resting from his creative work for some period of time, or the first two human beings being man and woman (which is necessary anyway).

You are working with the borrowed capital of "creation ordinances," which teaches that this is the "order" God "created," and rules out the possibility that man and the world has an alternative history which might allow another order and interpretation of life.

Consider the Sabbath. It was made for man. Hence the period of time that God rested is not at issue. What is the period of time that man rested? Did he rest on that day? If so, then it is a literal day. If not, then the Sabbath could not be said to be made for man.

Consider marriage. It was "in the beginning." If it was not "in the beginning" it would not be normative. If it was in the beginning then there is no possibility of any other historical order existing.

I've never bought in to the whole idea of OTHER than a 6-day Creation. God doesn't lie. His Spirit inspired Moses to write 6 days and I believe 6 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back