Did God Kill Moses and The Significance of His nmarked grave

TheMantis

Puritan Board Freshman
In Deuteronomy 34:5-7, it is noted that Moses, despite seeing the Promised Land and maintaining his health and good eyesight, did not die of natural causes but rather by God's will. Given the unique and close relationship between God and Moses, why did God decide to end Moses' life this way, and why was Moses buried in an unmarked grave? Additionally, what is the significance of the event mentioned in Jude 1, where the devil contends for the body of Moses?

This time coincided with the fact that the Israelites were about to enter into the promised land under Moses' successor. Moses was not permitted to enter the promised land because of his behaviour with the Rock and his unadvised speech.

Matt. 23:29, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous." If I look at the church of St. Peter in Rome it is not hard to imagine what the devil would have done with the body of Moses to establish a false church.

This time coincided with the fact that the Israelites were about to enter into the promised land under Moses' successor. Moses was not permitted to enter the promised land because of his behaviour with the Rock and his unadvised speech.

Matt. 23:29, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous." If I look at the church of St. Peter in Rome it is not hard to imagine what the devil would have done with the body of Moses to establish a false church.
I understand that part; just the fact that he wasn't close to death that we know of is curious. And why the undisclosed location of the grave?

We're not given information about his death, only that he was part of a generation that would not enter the promised land. Given the number of leaders and their wives, when mentioned, who are buried outside a national limit suggest an exile theme that has been ongoing for the people of God.

Yes, God killed Moses because of his disobedience in being harsh to the Israelite's at their request for water, when God had intended it as a way to glorify himself. Because of that, he barred Moses from entering the Promise Land, and extended Moses' life up unto the point that they were about to enter it.

I understand that part; just the fact that he wasn't close to death that we know of is curious. And why the undisclosed location of the grave?

It would mean that he didn't die of "natural causes," but a part of the judgment of God pronounced against him. Undisclosed so he wouldn't be set up as a monument of idolatry or to create a false church as with St. Peter. I suppose it also leaves open the possibility that he was received physically into heaven, which has been the view of some, especially in light of the transfiguration.

It would mean that he didn't die of "natural causes," but a part of the judgment of God pronounced against him. Undisclosed so he wouldn't be set up as a monument of idolatry or to create a false church as with St. Peter. I suppose it also leaves open the possibility that he was received physically into heaven, which has been the view of some, especially in light of the transfiguration.
I suppose I have never considered he could have been received physically into heaven. Just like Elijah and Enoch.

I suppose I have never considered he could have been received physically into heaven. Just like Elijah and Enoch.
It is interesting, but I dont know how you get around: "And there on the mountain that you climb, you will die and be gathered to your people, just as your brother Aaron died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people." Deut. 32:50.

It is interesting, but I dont know how you get around: "And there on the mountain that you climb, you will die and be gathered to your people, just as your brother Aaron died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people." Deut. 32:50.
I could have worded my question better. There is no getting around Duet 32:50, which doesn't provide explicit details about Moses' physical condition. I would tend to think if I knew I was going to die and not enter the land, I would start to deteriorate, and the check back and knees light would come on. For Moses, that wasn't the case. My questions revolve more around how he dies and in the condition we know he was in prior to death, which wasn't sick or weak.

In reading this, I can hear Calvin warning us not to press too deeply into speculating beyond where Scripture wants us to. If we ask whether God killed Moses, then we have to ask whether God kills every person who dies.

I frankly don't see the relevance of Moses' good health to the discussion, because plenty of people die of natural causes while in otherwise good health. For most of us, our bodies succumb gradually to decline and decay. But then there are the "one-hoss shays" among us who continue on with their natural vigor largely unabated until they reach the measure of their days, at which point they just stop.

God told Moses he would not enter the Promised Land. He allowed him to see it from afar, he took him up to a mountain, Moses died, and he buried him there. If there is a supernatural element at play, it's that God providentially preserved Moses in body and mind up until his appointed time, that God gave him advance notice of his time, and that he then spent those final moments in communion with him. And who wouldn't want their burial service presided over by the Almighty Lord himself?

Rather than wondering if/why God killed Moses, I suggest we instead pray for the blessing of our own lives ending in such a fashion, if the Lord wills.

I don’t know if God killed Moses. This is the first time I’ve heard that proposed. But I do find it interesting that He chose to bury him instead of burning him up in cremation.

Killed may have connotations not everyone wants to embrace. Not a sparrow falls from the sky without our heavenly Father (Matthew 10:29), but we don't often speak of God killing every bird.

God appointed the time of Moses' end, and the place of his death, at least, was a disciplinary denial of the privilege of entering the Promised Land. Of course, many years later Moses was found within its borders in the presence of the one who gave the land its meaning (Luke 9:30).

Other than the question of burial, though, I don't see that Moses' death is more mysterious than Aaron's. Aaron was vigorous enough to go up a mountain, and yet apparently died quite suddenly when his priestly garments had been transferred (Numbers 20:23-29).

Back