Did Jesus ever become ritually unclean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Did Jesus ever become ritually unclean (when he raised the dead or healed lepers, etc). Uncleanness is not sin and Jesus never sinned. But did he ever become ritually unclean?

How did he avoid this while being around lepers and dead bodies?

I understand your point as in "Mat 8:3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed"
Here we see rather then Christ becoming unclean the leper became cleansed, Christ did not catch the leprosy. I believe this is similar to him healing on the Sabbath and yet he did not violate the Sabbath because "he is the Lord of the Sabbath"
I think in the case of ceremonial cleanness/uncleanness His Deity trumps his Humanity. I could be a little off here maybe someone else more knowledgeable can clarify.

I understand your point as in "Mat 8:3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed"
Here we see rather then Christ becoming unclean the leper became cleansed, Christ did not catch the leprosy. I believe this is similar to him healing on the Sabbath and yet he did not violate the Sabbath because "he is the Lord of the Sabbath"
I think in the case of ceremonial cleanness/uncleanness His Deity trumps his Humanity. I could be a little off here maybe someone else more knowledgeable can clarify.

I think you may be right with respect to Christ being immune from ceremonial uncleanness (I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts), but as regards the Sabbath, Jesus never broke this moral law, but he had the correct interpretation of it, unlike the Pharisees et al. who had added their own rules to it.

Being ceremonially unclean unless deliberately followed wasn't a moral issue. E.g. A justified and morally upright lady could be - inadevertently - ceremonially unclean during her time of the month. On the other hand, her husband, deliberately having relations with her at this time and becoming unclean was morally culpable.

Lord Christ is the source of "running water" that makes clean. (Lev. 15:13).

He could not be made unclean. (Lev 11:36 "Nevertheless a fountain or pit, wherein there is plenty of water, shall be clean....")

The ritual laws never applied to Christ in his work in any event, because he was and is always clean:

Heb 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
Heb 7:27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

I think you may be right with respect to Christ being immune from ceremonial uncleanness (I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts), but as regards the Sabbath, Jesus never broke this moral law, but he had the correct interpretation of it, unlike the Pharisees et al. who had added their own rules to it.

Being ceremonially unclean unless deliberately followed wasn't a moral issue. E.g. A justified and morally upright lady could be - inadevertently - ceremonially unclean during her time of the month. On the other hand, her husband, deliberately having relations with her at this time and becoming unclean was morally culpable.

Yes you are right he didn't violate the Sabbath but they interpreted it wrongly but my point was more that He created the Sabbath and was Lord of it just like the ceremonial laws. But yes I believe He was immune to being unclean. I think like I said His Deity often trumped his humanity in some regards. For instance though he was fully human He raised the dead, healed the sick, ect. Maybe trumped isn't the correct term here but Though he was Fully Human and humans can become unclean he was also Fully God and God can not become unclean. I think this issue brings us back to the Marvelous Mystery of Jesus Christ the God-Man, which can't be comprehended in this life. Like as the Trinity can not be fully reconciled or God's complete sovereignty and human responsibility. I am growing to be comfortable with all this and it all just further proves that the Bible could not possibly be the work of man.

If an ordinary Israelite touched a leper, or even an uncircumcised person, the contagion contaminated the Israelite. He became ritually impure, because the taint was more potent than his ritual holiness.

Jesus touched the leper. All we need to know about the intrinsic holiness and cleanliness of Jesus is to observe the result. If the leper remained a leper, then whatever change occurred would happen to the one touching. But instead, the leper was cleansed. The grace of our Lord imparted cleansing, proving beyond all question that his cleanness was superior to the taint; he banished the taint.

Jesus could not contract any uncleanness. Otherwise, he could not have even walked among men without being defiled. He bore our sin; he became "sin" for us; he endured all our abuse and filthiness and misconduct, the pollution of sin that defaced creation. He did all that while remaining undefiled, in essence unaffected, being the spotless Lamb That Was Slain.

Thanks.

So Jesus did perform acts which would have rendered other men ritually unclean? He did not avoid these acts, but engaged in these acts for the purpose of mercy. But by virtue of His Personhood, he made them clean instead of him becoming unclean. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back