Did Jesus ever get sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference between maturation and change into adulthood and degeneration into old age.

Of course there is. And the question of old age is purely hypothetical because our Lord did not need to live in His state of humiliation beyond the age of thirty-eight at most, to fulfil His Father's will and do what was necessary for our salvation.

A better question would be whether our Lord could have had a transient childhood illness as part of His life under the state of humiliation, or the everyday minor cuts and bruises of manual labour?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

And the question of old age is purely hypothetical because our Lord did not need to live in His state of humiliation beyond the age of thirty-eight at most, to fulfil His Father's will and do what was necessary for our salvation.

A better question would be whether our Lord could have had a transient childhood illness as part of His life under the state of humiliation, or the everyday minor cuts and bruises of manual labour?

I don't think anybody here would think Our Lord could not bleed if He stepped on a nail. Now could that injury become infected is the question. If not, I suspect there would be no need for Mary to clean the wound if He did. Of course she would have, but if it was needed or not to be cleaned is the question. :)

Are you saying that there were forms of trouble that an unfallen yet sin-bearing Man like Christ could be subject to and others that were necessarily excluded? E.g. although He was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, and suffered many and various troubles, He couldn't suffer a transient childhood illness or get a blister on his thumb?

Bleeding was obviously a reality. As Earl points out, though, the question is whether it could entail infection. A blister would suggest the regenerative process was working very well.

Chalcedon speaks of Christ being perfect as pertaining to His manhood. The Westminster Confession joins "all the essential properties and common infirmities thereof." Illness is dehumanising, if anything.

Jesus was circumcised. I assume there was bleeding involved. But this would have been counted as part of his "fulfilling all righteousness" right?

P.s. in the Middle Ages I have read about several Catholic churches having the alleged foreskin of Jesus as a Holy Relic. Very curious history.

Chalcedon speaks of Christ being perfect as pertaining to His manhood. The Westminster Confession joins "all the essential properties and common infirmities thereof." Illness is dehumanising, if anything.

Is not injury from nails dehumanising also? These nails came from out side his body as would disease. Just saying . :) Your points in this thread are well recieved and I shall ponder the passage in Acts more.

So, what would entail "common infirmities" of humanity?

Is not injury from nails dehumanising also? These nails came from out side his body as would disease.

The nails came from "wicked hands," thus tracing the evil to its proper moral cause as identified by Scripture. "Disease" would be classified as a "natural" evil, and a judgment of God upon sin.

So, what would entail "common infirmities" of humanity?

The usual biblical descriptions by which Christ's full humanity is proven, e.g., hunger, weariness, sorrow, etc. Scripture never suggests sickness was a part of our Lord's personal experience (quite the opposite), nor is it used theologically to establish His full humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back