Did Judas participate at the Lord's supper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Someone ask me the next question: When the Lord Jesus Christ dipt the bread (as the sigh that Judas would betray him) was this done at a normal meal (so before the Lord's supper) or was at the Lord's supper itself (and was Judas participated the Lord's supper ?) The person who ask me this believe that when Jesus dipt the bread was not the Lord's supper itself, because :

1e : Jesus sends the 2 disciples to prepare the celebrating of the Pascha in the upperroom.
2e: Jesus is washing the feet of the disciples (incl. Judas)
3e: Jesus dipt the bread to show that Judas would betray him.
4e: Judas leaves
5e: Lord's supper

Is this the right order ?

I don't see how we could possibly get that order from the plain reading of the text. Can you show me why we ought to believe that is what is taught in the Holy Scriptures?

It seems to be to me that the most fair reading would be that there was one meal and Judas was present.

Look at the account in Luke:
Luke 22:19-22 (emphasis mine)
And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood. But behold, the hand of the one betraying Me is with Mine on the table. For indeed, the Son of Man is going as it has been determined; but woe to that man by whom He is betrayed!"

[Edited on 3-9-2006 by Mike]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back