Did you know anything about Puritans before joining the Puritanboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Sailor

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm just curious how many of you folks who joined the Puritan Board actually knew about Puritans and their theology before joining. Were you just a 5 point Calvinist (no knowledge of the historic Reformed faith) looking for fellow 5 pointers? Did you know a little about Puritans and want to know more? Did you know alot and looking for a place to talk about them? I was just curious because alot of folks who join the "Puritan Board" don't seem to know what the Puritans believed and some even disagree with them. I'm just curious how the "Puritan" Board pulled you in
:)

I knew a lot about them beforehand from reading Owen, Turretin, Bunyan, Boston, Flavel, et cet. I came to the board by way of "A Puritan's Mind" which I read for probably a year before coming to the PB.

Vic

I didn't know much of anything about the Puritans.

I had been a 5-pointer for a couple years before coming to the PB, and had some interest in the board for that reason.

I wanted to join the board, but found that only confessional Calvinists were allowed to join. At the same time, I was becoming more and more interested in knowing precisely what the PCA church believed, in case I should decide to eventually pursue ministry in that denomination. I was freshly becoming convinced of infant baptism. I started looking at the WCF, and found that they also believed in a Sunday-Sabbath which applies to Christians today. I studied it, and came to agree with it. At that point, I finally felt like I could honestly say that I hold to the WCF.

That's when I finally joined the Puritanboard.

I had just discovered that I was a 5 pointer after wondering for a long, long time why I didn't fit in at Rapture Ready and other places like that. These other places HATED when I espoused Lordship Slavation and that was the straw that broke the camels back and I went looking for a place online that was likeminded.

I found this place and was very, very happy.

I knew next to nothing of the Puritans but have learned so much since being here and wish I would have discovered them long ago.

I had read some secular histories of Puritan New England and one on the English Reformation. Colonial NE was my favorite period of history and archaeology. I had some geneaological research about my Puritan ancestors, and I'd just started reading more theological books on/by Puritans. Now I've got quite a few books by various Puritans.

Know about Puritans... I am the descedant of Puritans...

puritanhead9xb.gif

Soli Deo Gloria

Aye! My ancestors were Puritans, and one of my namebearers is mentioned in the Charter of the New England Confederation (1620).... "...our well beloved Matthew Sutcliffe, Dean of Exeter..." He helped found a colony in Sagahadoc, Maine the same year Jamestown was founded, though it failed. Thereafter, he was still involved in colonial affairs. Dr. Matthew Sutcliffe was the Dean of Exeter, a Chaplain to King James, a Masters of Law and Divinity, and wrote books extensively on varied topics from theology to the conduct of war. Matthew Sutcliffe gave considerable funds to the project of Chelsea college, and was appointed provost. Chelsea had specialized in training in divinity and history. The college, ultimately, was seized by parliament during the interregnum. His brother John was groom to the bedchamber of Charles I, though Charles wasn't our king. Other famous Sutcliffes, were early patrons of Harvard University back when it was a real school.

I read Matthew's last will and testament--- he makes parting shots at Arminians and the Papacy... They had earlier tried to reform Anglican church though. Eventually, Sutcliffes settled in Scituate, Massachusetts among the first settlements. Though, I am not sure if I am related to William Perkins, which is my mother's surname... that is a larger family. I also have Scotch-Irish, Presbyterian roots, that is Lackey... from Leckie, of the Clan MacGregor from Argyllshire, and Welsh roots.

My Scotch-Irish ancestors were moonshiners
:D

I love genealogy... I read some century-old family history books, and a lot of stuff a long time ago, that someone gathered for me.
:)

Setliffs are just southern Sutcliffes the migrated to Virginia and Carolinas in the eighteenth century.

Actually, there is a lot of mythology about Puritans... they wore colorful clothes, not all black... Likewise, the hat with a belt-buckle is an ole wise-tale... myth that is passed after as fact, or so I am told.

I knew a little bit but was intrigued a lot about the Puritans when I came here.
I know a fair bit more now but I'm still very intrigued by them. Their whole comprehensive and disciplined vision of godliness was, in my opinion, to be emulated in many respects. It was like discovering a hidden treasure in (my) own house when I stumbled upon the Still Waters site a year or so prior to finding Dr. McMahon's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back