Did you know Augustine was a Calvinist? Augustine's Calvinism - C. M.McMahon New Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Augustine’s Calvinism: The Doctrines of Grace in Augustine’s Writings – by C. Matthew McMahon

Lots of people today hold to the Five Points of Calvinism, or the doctrines of grace. But did Augustine believe these same “Calvinistic” doctrines? Is Augustine’s theological view of sin, election, the death of Christ, regeneration and sanctification the same as the Reformers, or the Puritans? This work is a survey of that question and demonstrates from Augustine’s works that he was, undoubtedly, a Calvinist.

eBook pack, ePub, mobi and PDF:
Augustine's Calvinism: The Doctrines of Grace in Augustine's Writings, by C. Matthew McMahon: The Puritan Shop

Kindle Download
Augustine's Calvinism: The Doctrines of Grace in Augustine's Writings: C. Matthew McMahon: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Hardback
Augustine’s Calvinism: The Doctrines of Grace in Augustine's Writings by C. Matthew McMahon (Hardcover)

View attachment 2864

If you can get this to the nook store, I have some Barnes & Noble gift card money waiting to be spent and I would like to get this book. It sounds quite interesting! I know I can read this on my nook with the bundle, but I would not be able to purchase it right now.

To represent Augustine as a Calvinist would require quite a distortion of his overall theological framework. It's certainly true that Calvin and others drew many important ideas from Augustine, but they also recognized their differences. In particular, Augustine's doctrine of perseverance is a perseverance of the elect, but the elect are not coterminous with believers. There is a class of non-elect believers that fall away from the faith. Also, he viewed baptism as necessary for regeneration, which means that his concept of grace is a bit different.

I have no problem with showing continuities between Reformed theology and Augustine, but representing Augustine as a Calvinist is misleading at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back