Diet and Exercise - NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
I know the health buffs out there say we should be doing diet and exercise. Hey - I have it biblically - bodily exercise profits [b:019d3e5eef]little.[/b:019d3e5eef] In an effort to find something that works for me I have tried every diet under the sun, includings being on Atkins for 3 months on the first phase. Nothing worked.

My wife thought we should try the Southbeach diet. Okay, so I said let's try it.
My frame is rather stocky (football player like) or club bouncer. So I am heavy according to any doctor chart. I simply am trying to get to my ideal wieght, which runs around 215-220.

I started the diet at 247 pounds. (Where I gained weight on Atkins!)

2 weeks later I am at 234 pounds.

I am amazed it working. We even cheated once!
In any case, for those who do not have oodles of time to workout and owul dlike to lose weight and eat right, the Southbeach diet seems to be working. We just entered phase 2 and then will repat it all again in another month to go through it again.

The book costs about $17 at any bookstore.

[quote:6fca7a9b9a][i:6fca7a9b9a]Originally posted by webmaster[/i:6fca7a9b9a]
I know the health buffs out there say we should be doing diet and exercise. Hey - I have it biblically - bodily exercise profits [b:6fca7a9b9a]little.[/b:6fca7a9b9a] In an effort to find something that works for me I have tried every diet under the sun, includings being on Atkins for 3 months on the first phase. Nothing worked.

My wife thought we should try the Southbeach diet. Okay, so I said let's try it.
My frame is rather stocky (football player like) or club bouncer. So I am heavy according to any doctor chart. I simply am trying to get to my ideal wieght, which runs around 215-220.

I started the diet at 247 pounds. (Where I gained weight on Atkins!)

2 weeks later I am at 234 pounds.

I am amazed it working. We even cheated once!
In any case, for those who do not have oodles of time to workout and owul dlike to lose weight and eat right, the Southbeach diet seems to be working. We just entered phase 2 and then will repat it all again in another month to go through it again.

The book costs about $17 at any bookstore. [/quote:6fca7a9b9a]

I've been on it for about 5 weeks and 25 pounds lighter. Be prepared for a rapid slowdown in weightloss after Phase 1.

I've lost 15! If there is a slowdown after this phase, then we will definately have to turn on the afterbburners; exercise!

Southbeach is excellent.....you really do not have cravings after the first phase. Last year I lost 20 pounds on it, then got off it, and have gained the 20 plus some back! :shocked2:

Is it just me, or is it more expensive to eat healthy??

If it is, that explains why I am now on a [i:7f27d1bf30]poor[/i:7f27d1bf30] diet.

:lol:

I tried Atkins with success all 3 times :) But I just can't eat that much meat as much as I love it. I found that simply reducing the amount of food I eat worked best, especially the sugar and starch (i.e. soda pop, ice cream, crackers, white bread, etc.). I lost 10 pounds alone when I quit drinking soda. I just realized that I need to quit eating like I'm still 18. I'm not a growing boy anymore :wink1:

2 of the best ways to keep from gaining weight is hard work and a brisk walk several times a week.

[quote:7b7114a49b][i:7b7114a49b]Originally posted by Scott Bushey[/i:7b7114a49b]
I've lost 15! If there is a slowdown after this phase, then we will definately have to turn on the afterbburners; exercise! [/quote:7b7114a49b]

That is a good idea. Me and my wife have started. The good thing is the diet really isn't that hard, and the food is great.

In my experience, like Gregg said, a daily brisk walk does wonders.

I've been "dieting" for 17 years. And after I lost the initial weight (30 lbs) I have managed to maintain my weight for the entire time. (No doubt, not being married, and not having children has been a great help. Not that I have willingly given up the one for the other). But after years of experience, and years of watching my friends diet I've made some simple observations. Maybe they'll be of some help.

If you eat more, you gain weight.

If you eat less, you lose weight.

If you excercise you can eat more.

Excercise by itself will not help you lose weight.

On every diet I've heard about you will run across those times where you stop eating and still can't lose weight. Excercise and start eating.

I've never seen a fat person die of starvation.

You can over eat on the Atkins diet.

On a 5'3" woman, her clothes weigh approx. 1lb., her shoes weigh 1 lb. and she'll lose 1 lb as she sleeps.

You can lose more weight by sleeping and not eating than you can by eating and exercising. Think about it. :)

A creamsicle weighs .25lb.

There are calories in juice and milk.

If you lose weight on a diet, and then revert back to your previous eating habits you will also revert back to your previous weight.

Eating junk food is more satisfactory (though less healthy) then eating good food. Skip the chicken and eat the cookie.

You can't eat both the chicken AND the cookie.

Starting a diet each evening doesn't work.

It's easier to start a diet after a good meal. It's hardest to stick to it when you're hungry. :(

It's all a matter of self-discipline.

Dieting is a continual process of telling yourself "no".

I'm convinced that the small process of saying "no" and showing self-discipline in food, will strengthen our self-discipline and our ability to control ourselves in more important situations.

It takes one day to gain 3 pound and three weeks to lose it.

Yes, Pastor Way, eating healthy is more expensive, but still cheaper and less painful than heart surgery, gall bladder, attacks, kidney malfuction, or other physical disorders. :p

Loosing weight is a mindset, not a program.

You have to take responsibilty for the food you eat.

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by ChristianasJourney]

[quote:ae6f24091e][i:ae6f24091e]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:ae6f24091e]
:flaming:

heartburn bouncy after going on some nuts, twigs and sticks diet

-Paul [/quote:ae6f24091e]

Reply...

Paul, I had some hungry deer eat several of my Arborvitaes which consist of mainly twigs, sticks, and greens. I would imagine they would need to have a cast iron digestive system.

Weight Loss Bonanza

I find it interesting that the title of this topic is "Diet and Exercise - NOT!", even though the author suggests yet another dieting fad that will die out sooner or later.

You want to lose weight? Two things: reduce consumption of what you don't need and run on a daily basis. In other words, if you're hungry, eat, and if you're not, don't eat, unless it's a special occasion. As well, running is the best cardiovascular exercise you could do. It's worked for thousands of years; why should it not work today? One of the best investments you could make is purchasing a treadmill that will last you for years to come. You'll wind up saving money by not having to purchase memberships at a gym every year.

And stay away from pills. That they cost so much ought to inform you of what the real motive is behind their manufacture.

AnonRex

In part I agree with AnonymousRex. It is true that a major factor to lose weight is decreasing calories (and yes stay away from pills). However the biggest factor is discipline! Of all the diets out there (and yes all will work to some degree-some more for some than others) you must ask yourself is the diet I could do the rest of my life? If not, you are on the wrong diet and will soon go off and gain all your weight back, and more.

My fear (and the latest research is confirming this) is that many of the low carb diets have the worse failure rate at keeping weight off for more than a year! Why? Because many of these diets do not teach discipline and they are too limiting in good complex carbs (which all need). Moreover, most people, after they have lost their weight, think they do not have to continue to limit their carbs. Wrong! You have just trained your body to limit carbs (as one does when limiting calories)! So if you begin to increase them you will soon gain weight.

One more note. As I said in another thread, latest research is now showing that cardio is over rated. If you are over 30 you need to weight train! Cardio does not build the muscle you need for metabolic efficiency. Moreover, being over 30 (and not weight training) means you are losing lean body mass and bone density at a relatively fast rate. So even if you do 30 - 45 min. of cardio 5-7 days a week (as I did since I was 21) your metabolic efficiency will still slow down and you will eventually get fat (especially if you are like me and snack here and there on a good desert or are some chips and beer).

JWJ

What is this South Beach diet thingy? Not heard of it here in the UK. Is there a website?

My wife and I have lost 42 lbs between us since november, so we have a good plan going, but I'd love to see what this diet is all about just for interest!

:mad: <--- bouncy in the sauna trying to lose those xtra pounds

Boxing routine: Moderate consumption of most of what I like, heavy bag and jump rope workout all in 2-3 minute rounds with 60 second rests in between produced quick and significant weightloss, energy increase, etc.

[i:e2fffc78f3]Originally posted by AnonymousRex[/i:e2fffc78f3]
I find it interesting that the title of this topic is "Diet and Exercise - NOT!", even though the author suggests yet another dieting fad that will die out sooner or later.
I thought the southbeach diet was a fad diet also. Reserach proved me wrong.

[quote:a419a78490][i:a419a78490]Originally posted by joshua[/i:a419a78490]
Well, guys. Forget the book, just give me the details! ha ha...nevermind...only josh[/in]in' ya! [/quote:a419a78490]

It focuses on good fats and good carbs.

Avoid sugar and other processed foods like bleached flour, etc. There is no counting of calories, fat, or carbs.

Eat plenty of fruits vegatables, whole grain rice, oatmeal, nuts, beans, etc.
Eat lean beef, fish, chicken, and pork. Limit your portions to reasonable sizes.
That is the short of it.

I am not starving like on weight watchers or jenny craig because I am getting much more nutrition than before.

I lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks (phase 1 is more stict), and about 12 in the next 4 weeks.
Even better, my entire lifestyle has changed. I eat oatmeal and canadian bacon (98% fat free) for breakfast, a salad at lunch, and some meat, veggies, and maybe some rice for dinner.

[quote:35a84be9a1][i:35a84be9a1]Originally posted by Gregg[/i:35a84be9a1]
Does anybody here use olive oil in their cooking/diet? [/quote:35a84be9a1]

Oh yeah! But not for any caloric reasons... my wife and I just love the way it tastes!

Olive oil is one of the best.

Phase 1 of Southbeach, the Cliff Notes;
All the lean meat & green veggies you want for 2 weeks, also beans, no carbs or fruit, low-fat dairy ok. This phase lasts 2 weeks & resets your metabolism to eliminate cravings for bad carbs.

Phase 2
Same as above only add fruit, brown rice & whole wheat pastas, whole wheat bread. Avoid all processed carbs & sugar, eat sweet potatos instead of white potatos, eat healthy snacks like nuts.

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by turmeric]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back