Different Users on Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother John

Puritan Board Sophomore
We just set up an old PC for the family computer for our children to begin using. Is there a way to set up a windows user for them that would be under a password and my wife and I could put restrictions on its abilities?

In that case, yes. It should be under the control panel. There should be something with a title similar to "users and groups" or "user accounts". (I am using Windows 8 Developer's preview at the moment, otherwise I would be more accurate in my description).

In that case, yes. It should be under the control panel. There should be something with a title similar to "users and groups" or "user accounts". (I am using Windows 8 Developer's preview at the moment, otherwise I would be more accurate in my description).

Thanks that worked!

Is there a way to restrict programs per user? We do have K9 for internet filtering.

Can't speak for Windows XP, but I know that you can physically block a user's ability to access certain programs in 7 (i.e. Internet Explorer).

I do not believe it can stop third party software though. With the way technology has been going nowadays, I would suggest that you simply impede internet access all together, lock down your internet access with a password, and not give it to your kids under any circumstances. If something is needed off the internet, it can either be watched on your computer, or transferred to the kids computer via a flash drive or CD-ROM.

Some programs will give you the option, in administrator mode, to allow only certain accounts on the computer to use them, but I honestly can't tell you how to fix that. It's been so long since I've used XP.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Also, depending on the computer, there may be a 'parental controls' option. On my Dell, before it crashed (although it was Win7 then), it came with some sort of software that would allow that.

I stand corrected. Windows 7 does allow you to block any program installed.

Emphasis on installed. There's a new brand of software running around called portable software, which allows you to run programs off a flash drive. These kinds of programs are NOT blocked under Windows 7, and I don't see any way to block them from using other storage devices. Firefox is a portable software, and can circumvent the blocks.

There aren't nearly as many built in controls on XP as there are on Vista :barfy: or 7.

That's true. I have used many different portable versions of software myself. (ie: FireFox, the Gimp, Chrome, Opera, etc.)

It's got its uses. It can be a lifesaver if you run into a major computer problem. Running Ubuntu on it as a Flash Drive application can save your files in the event your Operating System buys the farm. Often times, the files are not affected one bit.

For kids though, the entire concept of portable software is on a need-to-know basis...and they don't need to know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back