"Director of Women in Ministry"??? (Synergy 2004 R

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayJay

Puritan Board Freshman
OOPS I've edited this post because the first time I posted it blank :duh:

I'm curious about some of your own views, especially those in PCA churches...

I went to Synergy 2004 and while I think it is great that there are women in seminary who are learning theology - I was a bit disappointed with the idea that the learning done in seminary must be used in a vocational setting. In fact, I'm not even sure that it is appropriate to be used in a vocational setting in the church.

There were many people at this conference in the PCA who were "directors" of different ministries and I find that to be a bit perplexing...though they aren't "pastors" they are often in positions of authority over men.

I also got the impression that having a "director of womens' ministry" is very common in PCA churches...is that the case with some of you? Do you think it is appropriate?

Personally I find it a bit strange...while of course I think women are told in Scripture to minister to one another I don't understand why it has to be so structured and organized into activities - but the church as of late LOVES that kind of stuff...:barfy:

It seems like this kind of thing may rob some women of opportunities to use their gifts in the body b/c one woman is in charge and calling all the shots.

Thoughts???

[Edited on 4-10-2004 by KayJay]

Karen wrote:
It seems like this kind of thing may rob some women of opportunities to use their gifts in the body b/c one woman is in charge and calling all the shots. Thoughts???

I would hope that a woman in charge of a ministry would recognize it as any other God-ordained position of authority. As such, I think she would do well to exemplify the authority models that Jesus and Paul spoke of:

[b:0c4033c4ab]Jesus[/b:0c4033c4ab] said in John 13:12-15, "So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."

[b:0c4033c4ab]Paul[/b:0c4033c4ab] said in 1 Corinthians 14:40, "Let all things be done decently and in order."

That's not always easy to do. Its difficult to know how to be a servant and still be the one who, at the same time, is responsible before God for making decisions. The academic (theology) training gained at a seminary is very important, but I think the attitude training gained at a seminary (and elsewhere) is also important. I don't think a person has learned all their lessons properly if they graduate from seminary, is given a position of leadership, and then only comes across as a person of great learning who is in charge.

At the same time, a "layman" (or lay-person, to be PC) who desires to use their gifts to minister should perhaps refrain if they view the ministry as a "power struggle". I don't think that a person with this attitude is only interested in God being glorified.

Gifts from God are wonderful things, but though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal...

Bob

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by blhowes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back