Disciplining a non member

Status
Not open for further replies.

No one

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello, there is a man that goes to my church who comes to service every so often for a few years now as well as the Bible study. This man has been living with an unbeliever for the same time he has been attending this church and now has kids by her. This person claims to be a believer so I wanted to know everyone's thoughts ons discipline. Should discipline be practiced with only members of the church? Any input would be appreciated. Thankyou

And he has been rebuked and still proffeses to be a Christian after being rebuked by the elders and pastor for this sin.

The OPC the Book of Church Order states, "Ecclesiastical discipline is the exercise of that authority which the Lord Jesus Christ has committed to the visible church for the preservation of its purity, peace, and good order," and, "All members of the church, both communicants and those who are members by virtue of baptism only, are under the care of the church, and subject to ecclesiastical discipline" (italics added). I know you are not OPC, but I think the OPC BCO is right. If this man is not a member of the visible church, he cannot be disciplined by a body of which he is not a member. He can be rebuked, admonished, exhorted, even evangelized, etc., but he cannot come under ecclesiastical discipline because he is not a member of the ecclesia, his profession of faith notwithstanding.

I see, but should they allow him to fellowship with others? Also what if they rebuke you for rebuke him because you don't have a relationship with him?

I think he should be welcomed to the service of the preaching of the word but of any fellowship before during or afterward he ought to be excluded due to his lifestyle. A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump:

1Co 5:1-9 KJV 1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. 2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

I think he should be welcomed to the service of the preaching of the word but of any fellowship before during or afterward he ought to be excluded due to his lifestyle. A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump:

1Co 5:1-9 KJV 1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. 2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
What if he is conducting a fellowship meeting with believers behind the pastors back? And he goes to a Bible study and prays and fellowships with pastoral approval? Your thoughts?

Church discipline generally means exclusion from the sacraments. This man, if he is partaking of the Lord's Supper, needs to be excluded until he repents.

Church discipline generally means exclusion from the sacraments. This man, if he is partaking of the Lord's Supper, needs to be excluded until he repents.
Agreed. Although since he is not a member, and likely not a member of any particular church, he probably shouldn't have been taking the Lord's Supper to begin with. It's one of the reasons fencing of the Lord's table should require participants to be members of a Christian church. Anyone who cannot be formally excommunicated from the church shouldn't be taking the Lord's Supper under ordinary circumstances.

What if he is conducting a fellowship meeting with believers behind the pastors back? And he goes to a Bible study and prays and fellowships with pastoral approval? Your thoughts?

Then the pastor should deal with those members. Beyond that, no Lord's supper and the like. Since he isn't a member the church does'nt have any judicial authority over him.

Now No one knows.

Before receiving replies, No one didn't know.

So earlier everyone knew, but now no one knows?

Maybe this question should have remained unanswered. :scratch:

Corrective church discipline is obviously not something you can practice on someone who is not a member of the church. But it is necessary to make it clear to someone who is living in sin that they have no interest in the things of Christ's Kingdom, and they have no title to the privileges of church membership. The Power of the Keys is exercised in this instance by making it clear both in the preaching of God's Word and also in fencing the Lord's Table that the Kingdom of God is shut against the inpenitent and disobedient.

Last edited:
Corrective church discipline is obviously not something you can practice on someone who is not a member of the church. But it is necessary to make it clear to someone who is living in sin that they have no interest in the things of Christ's Kingdom, and they have no title to the privileges of church membership. The Power of the Keys is exercised in this instance by making it clear both in the preaching of God's Word and also in fencing the Lord's Table that the Kingdom of God is shut against the inpenitent and disobedient.
Thank you for this response, just trying to learn for future instances.

Now No one knows.

Before receiving replies, No one didn't know.

So earlier everyone knew, but now no one knows?

Maybe this question should have remained unanswered. :scratch:
Are you teasing me based on the name I chose.

Of course. I was just answering your question. I hope my reply did not come off as critical. I was just adding my :2cents:.
No absolutely not, I really appreciate it I just don't want to come off as airing my dirty laundry. Are there any resources you recommend I study to learn more about this issue? And also on the doctrine of seperation

Really? I am studying to be an English teacher. How do you like it ?
It can be awesome, and frequently is. But prepare for a lot of misery your first few years. Colleges don't properly prepare students for real world teaching. That's not a sharp criticism, since I'm not sure they really can, the way they're structured. You learn (painfully) on the job.

So much of your experience will depend on factors over which you have no control: e.g. the leadership of your school and the quality and culture of your students. Depending on these, you might have what feels like a completely different kind of job. I mean, teaching at a low-performing, rural public school vs teaching at an elite private school don't even feel like they're in the same ballpark in terms of what you do and how it affects you. Both are valuable and important jobs, but they're not the same thing.

If you get a chance, read 13 Ways of Going on a Field Trip by, uh, "Spotted Toad" (some bad language, just as a warning). Still probably the best book on teaching I've ever read.

All the best!

It can be awesome, and frequently is. But prepare for a lot of misery your first few years. Colleges don't properly prepare students for real world teaching. That's not a sharp criticism, since I'm not sure they really can, the way they're structured. You learn (painfully) on the job.

So much of your experience will depend on factors over which you have no control: e.g. the leadership of your school and the quality and culture of your students. Depending on these, you might have what feels like a completely different kind of job. I mean, teaching at a low-performing, rural public school vs teaching at an elite private school don't even feel like they're in the same ballpark in terms of what you do and how it affects you. Both are valuable and important jobs, but they're not the same thing.

If you get a chance, read 13 Ways of Going on a Field Trip by, uh, "Spotted Toad" (some bad language, just as a warning). Still probably the best book on teaching I've ever read.

All the best!
I shall, do you teach in a public school?

I shall, do you teach in a public school?
Not currently. I have. Wasn't my cup of tea. :coffee:But that had a lot to do with a domineering leadership style I just didn't thrive under. I went international, where I'm much happier.

Are there any resources you recommend I study to learn more about this issue? And also on the doctrine of seperation
In matters such as this, what is called for is a sound understanding of biblical ecclesiology.

From a Baptist perspective, I cannot think of a better resource than Polity: Biblical Arguments on How to Conduct Church Life. It's no longer in print and available copies will set you back a pretty penny. But you can find it free at 9 Marks (here).

From a Presbyterian perspective, I would recommend James Bannerman's The Church of Christ. While there are things a Baptist will disagree with, you will profit from giving serious thought to what he says. And for me, it has helped to sharpen my thinking about my own views which are distinctively baptistic.

Not currently. I have. Wasn't my cup of tea. :coffee:But that had a lot to do with a domineering leadership style I just didn't thrive under. I went international, where I'm much happier.
International? Where at? I was thinking of doing this? Any advice on how to get there?

Sorry for the multitude of questions
No problem! I am a teacher, after all.

It's variable. I worked in China the longest, though I'm currently in SE Asia.

If you're a new teacher, take a job nobody wants (e.g. EFL) at a large, lower-tier, national organization with room to grow; get to know the people; and work your way up. With the high turnover in int'l education, that's not too hard to do quite rapidly. If you have legitimate teaching credentials, it's relatively easy. Take all the PD opportunities you can. Then you can leverage your experience and credentials to move to a higher-level school in the same country or in another. Or stay in your old school, if you prefer.

Job opportunities in a true international schools are extremely competitive (hence my suggested route above), but the opportunities are definitely out there, for the willing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back