Discount on Crawford Gribben's Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America: Christian Reconstruction in the Pacific Northwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Oxford University Press are due to publish Professor Crawford Gribben's new book, Survival and Resistance in Evangelical America: Christian Reconstruction in the Pacific Northwest. Please see the attached document below in order to obtain a discount.

Attachments

• Gribben_-_Survival_and_Resistance_in_Evangelical_America.pdf
    367.9 KB · Views: 0
Coincidentally, I heard about this book last week and flagged it as something to order in the future.

Thanks for linking to the coupon!

Coincidentally, I heard about this book last week and flagged it as something to order in the future.

Thanks for linking to the coupon!

The author is an acquaintance of mine and he mentioned some of the research behind this book to me a while ago. I would be interested to know what sources were used.

Does CREC play large in this book?

The Kindle version is available now, having been published approximately a month prior to the HC being published. That's the only way I see to get a sample. The ToC doesn't give you much (1. Migration, 2. Eschatology, 3. Government, 4. Education, 5. Media.)

CREC does appear to play large. (Could there be such a book without it?) Gribben says that he went to Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho several years ago and conducted interviews. I suppose he didn't stop in to say "Hi" to Vic.

The description specifically mentions the "American Redoubt" concept popularized by the Reformed Baptist survivalist James Wesley Rawles. Chuck Baldwin moved up there a few years ago. I'm not sure if the "American Redoubt" concept can be considered recon except in a loose sense. (But it does fit "survival.") That seems to be more akin to the BenOp, although there is some overlap between the two concepts. (This is what people misunderstand about the BenOp, insisting on equating it with anabaptists. People have had the same mistaken assumptions about homeschooling, that "withdrawal" means you'll never be heard from again when the intention is often the very opposite.) Chuck Baldwin and others have moved up there.

The title says "Christian Reconstruction" not the ill-defined "dominionism" which is nebulous enough to include almost anyone who is politically active. I doubt it's half-baked but I'm a little skeptical. There is a lot of money to be made writing today alarmist books about the "Christian Right." Unlike most of them, Dr. Gribben is a real scholar, and a responsible one from what I understand.

In the 70s and 80s, the survivalist Mel Tappan encouraged people to move to the Rogue River Valley in Oregon. I'm not sure that had anything to do with Christianity at all. But it's survivalism in the PNW. He moved there and people followed, (including Roy Masters, perhaps most notably) but I think he encouraged people to settle in any similar sparsely populated area. Rawles has cited him as a big influence.

EDIT: After reading the free sample, I believe he's misread the situation in the USA with his claim that conservative/evangelical cultural power is increasing because there is an increased majority on the Supreme Court. That "majority" gave us Bostock, arguably a bigger betrayal than Roe given all of the activism it took to get to the current composition of the court. Conservatives winning elections and losing the culture has been going on for over 40 years. Typically it is someone on the hard left who will insist that the left is losing when they don't control all three branches of government when it is obvious the culture is going all their way, even to the point now of having "Woke Capitalism." (I'm not too familiar with Gribben's work, but I think he may have misread things with regard to his previous book on "Left Behind" too. If he thinks that that kind of belief was on the upswing in 2009, as he suggests, he couldn't have been more wrong. It was less popular then, (and especially now) even among charismatics, than it has been in many decades.) That's not to say that this book will be terrible. But that framing of the situation doesn't inspire confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back