Disney’s “Soul”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
So Disney (Pixar) has a new movie called Soul. From the preview it seems that a jazz musician dies and ends up in the “before”, a place where the souls of people are waiting to be born. This soul also represents their personality and is then handed to the body by what looks like a female deity.

Out of curiosity, what kind of paganism is this? Or did Disney invent yet another staten to deny the one true loving God?

Disney has been doing it's best latest to corrupt children. Almost all of their movies have magic and witchcraft in them now. This sounds like dualism like the Greeks believed mixed with their own blend of paganism. Pagans gonna pay.

I saw the banner advertisement for it. It could be an amalgamation of different pagan ways (even speculative, well-meaning Christians under poor teaching). Honestly, all of this pop-concocted spiritual wondering is the blind clawing for the door of understanding. It is written all over the desperate faces of those who need Jesus. They attempt to grasp for answers all while denying and suppressing the truth in unrighteousness. In the very first question of both Westminster catechisms, we have that answer. We begin and confidently march forward from the question that eludes generation after generation of the faithless. May the Lord bestow mercy and grace to them. There is much work left in the harvest.

We have Disney Plus, so I probably ought to watch it. Over the years, Disney has provided a lot of starting points for conversations about how Jesus is better than our culture's weak attempts at spirituality. No doubt, some of the kids who end up in my Sunday school classes or Bible camps will have watched this movie and believed it was biblical. That's discouraging in one sense, but sometimes it also gives clear expression to beliefs the culture has already bought into, so that those beliefs can be more easily confronted.

It sounds like it may be propagating the progressive notion that there's a true self that's disconnected from the created, bodily self—and using Christian language to do so. That's an important belief to be able to confront these days. But it's hard to really know if that's the message without watching the movie. Secular reviews aren't likely to pick up on it.

If I watch it in the next few days, I'll come back here with a report.

Disney has been doing it's best latest to corrupt children. Almost all of their movies have magic and witchcraft in them now. This sounds like dualism like the Greeks believed mixed with their own blend of paganism. Pagans gonna pay.
Disney has pretty much always been this way. There are some good sources out there re: what Disney has always been about. I believe Christians should not remain in the dark, but a lot of Disney is "dark" with subliminal messages and outright paganism/occult/witchcraft and more.

Here is one such video:

Last edited:
Disney has pretty much always been this way. There are some good sources out there re: what Disney has always been about. I believe Christians should not remain in the dark, but a lot of Disney is "dark" with subliminal messages and outright paganism/occult/witchcraft and more.

Here is one such video:

Interestingly enough, I recall reading that Tolkien and Lewis watched Snow White and weren't pleased. They thought it unhealthy for children to neuter and repackage fairy tales, stripping them off the primal elements that made them powerful, or something like that.

We have Disney Plus, so I probably ought to watch it. Over the years, Disney has provided a lot of starting points for conversations about how Jesus is better than our culture's weak attempts at spirituality. No doubt, some of the kids who end up in my Sunday school classes or Bible camps will have watched this movie and believed it was biblical. That's discouraging in one sense, but sometimes it also gives clear expression to beliefs the culture has already bought into, so that those beliefs can be more easily confronted.

It sounds like it may be propagating the progressive notion that there's a true self that's disconnected from the created, bodily self—and using Christian language to do so. That's an important belief to be able to confront these days. But it's hard to really know if that's the message without watching the movie. Secular reviews aren't likely to pick up on it.

If I watch it in the next few days, I'll come back here with a report.
That's a great point. Most of the world's publications and arts catechizes our children in very subtle ways but some Disney movies provide a very clear way to demonstrate the futility of what is communicated.

For instance, in the Pixar movie Coco, a boy travels to the place of the dead. Even though it has a happy ending for the main character, it is a very bleak view of whether or not we have any joy in the life to come. Those who are forgotten by their relatives cease to exist.

Standard Mormonism.

From wiki:
LDS Church
Young postulated that we each had a pre-spirit intelligence that later became part of a spirit body, which then eventually entered a physical body and was born on earth. In 1857, Young stated that every person was "a son or a daughter of [the Father].

So Disney (Pixar) has a new movie called Soul. From the preview it seems that a jazz musician does and ends up in the “before”, a place where the souls of people are waiting to be born. This soul also represents their personality and is then handed to the body by what looks like a female deity.

Out of curiosity, what kind of paganism is this? Or did Disney invent yet another staten to deny the one true loving God?
I just watched the trailer and though I didn't see anything explicit stating so I wouldn't be surprised if things like reincarnation are pushed. The idea of preexistence of souls, choosing your personality or other aspects of your upcoming earthly existence sounds like certain theosophical ideas.

I don't plan on watching anything other than the trailer.

In 1857, Young stated that every person was "a son or a daughter of [the Father].
Lest we forget, plenty of orthodox reformed writers have said that all men are God's children by nature, but only the Christian by grace and adoption.
So Disney (Pixar) has a new movie called Soul. From the preview it seems that a jazz musician does and ends up in the “before”, a place where the souls of people are waiting to be born. This soul also represents their personality and is then handed to the body by what looks like a female deity.

The pre-existence of the soul was taught by Origen, along with other heretics.

Real question - Can we assume that any stories not grounded in a Christian worldview are by definition "paganized" (to use the term in its broadest sense)?

Real question - Can we assume that any stories not grounded in a Christian worldview are by definition "paganized" (to use the term in its broadest sense)?
In a broad sense, yes. Have you ever done a study on the history of Hollywood? Do you understand why it's called that?

In the real world (where we live), there are no happy or good endings apart from the saving grace of Christ. It's very black and white in that sense. Entertaining ourselves with "happily ever after" endings from Disney or much from Hollywood is not in keeping with Scripture.

Last edited:
Interesting, I have watched some Disney movies over the years, but I had never given much thought to the witchcraft and subtle paganism in Disney. The only Disney movie I have left is the original Beauty and the Beast. That movie does have some kind of witch/magic when the prince gets turned into the monster.

Last edited:
So Disney (Pixar) has a new movie called Soul. From the preview it seems that a jazz musician dies and ends up in the “before”, a place where the souls of people are waiting to be born. This soul also represents their personality and is then handed to the body by what looks like a female deity.

Mix and match Gnosticism with some transmigration of soul.

And in the Princess and the Frog, they really did their research on occultism. The song "friends on the other side" is really creepy in how close they come to demonism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back