Disney's A Christmas Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Brimstone
We went and saw it today.

Let me say up front that it is an excellent movie. Very well done. The animation was breathtaking. Seriously, it was super good. Way better than Polar Express, which has incredible animation. The directorial vision was both immense and careful. The script follows the story very faithfully. My wife and I were impressed at a number of details (but I can't give them away without divulging spoilers).

I will say, however, that what has been uttered in a number of places is in fact true: This is NOT a movie for young kids. Fortunately my kids didn't cry, but another kid in the theater did.

The entire "Bob Marley coming back to warn of the coming spirits" scene was pretty frightening. They definitely ramped up the eeriness and fright factor compared to any of the live action versions.

Additionally, the transition from the Ghost of Christmas Present to the Ghost of Christmas Future, while brilliant, was quite creepy (complete with laughing skeleton with eyes still in sockets that disintegrates into dust).

Needless to say, the entire Ghost of Christmas Future "chapter" is quite intense - including some rather frightening somewhat decomposed ghoulish looking corpses and some horses that look like the beast ridden by the Headless Horseman.... the Ghost of Christmas Future is itself more omnious than the already freaky versions depicted in the live action movies.

Long story short: This is a great movie. Zemekis is a master at telling a story via cinematographic media. A valuable lesson is taught and learned... but take caution before showing it to your young kids.

We went and saw it today.

Let me say up front that it is an excellent movie. Very well done. The animation was breathtaking. Seriously, it was super good. Way better than Polar Express, which has incredible animation. The directorial vision was both immense and careful. The script follows the story very faithfully. My wife and I were impressed at a number of details (but I can't give them away without divulging spoilers).

I will say, however, that what has been uttered in a number of places is in fact true: This is NOT a movie for young kids. Fortunately my kids didn't cry, but another kid in the theater did.

The entire "Bob Marley coming back to warn of the coming spirits" scene was pretty frightening. They definitely ramped up the eeriness and fright factor compared to any of the live action versions.

Additionally, the transition from the Ghost of Christmas Present to the Ghost of Christmas Future, while brilliant, was quite creepy (complete with laughing skeleton with eyes still in sockets that disintegrates into dust).

Needless to say, the entire Ghost of Christmas Future "chapter" is quite intense - including some rather frightening somewhat decomposed ghoulish looking corpses and some horses that look like the beast ridden by the Headless Horseman.... the Ghost of Christmas Future is itself more omnious than the already freaky versions depicted in the live action movies.

Long story short: This is a great movie. Zemekis is a master at telling a story via cinematographic media. A valuable lesson is taught and learned... but take caution before showing it to your young kids.

I'm torn. It seems like this would be a good movie, but I have gotten to the point of not liking the idea of supporting Disney. Have they become less radical in their support of immorality?

Yep, I will go see it now. I am not a Jim fan but appreciate a good story. I still like Disney despite their crud and influences in today's society.

I saw it last night. I agree with all of Ben's comments. I also would want to point out that it is unapologetically Christian (as in it doesn't hide the Christian aspects of Christmas). You see this in the music choices, the lyrics you hear, the imagery, and even one scene which I won't spoil but it is rather positive (at least from a Christian point of view).

The movie is quite "scary" though. Esspecially because the whole thing is in 3D. I saw it at the 3D imax and I can't imagine how terrifying some of those scenes would have been for someone really young.

It's now in my top 3 reditions of A Christmas Carol (the other two being Alastair Sim & George C. Scott)(I also have a soft spot for a Mickey Christmas Carol).

Thanks for the review. I did hear about the "scary" factor; Pluggedin Online's review of it said that the reviewer's teenage daughter thought it was scary.

As someone who rarely gets to go to movies, I really appreciate your review. It helps me know which ones are worth the effort to attend. Thanks!

christmas carol

i took 2 of my boys to see this the other night
i noticed my younger boy (7 years old) averting his eyes from the screen a couple times. it was pretty scary.
visually it was incredible... imperfections and blemishes could be seen on some of the faces. looked so incredibly real
not my favorite, but pretty darn good.

Should we watch out for moralism? What is the worldview that this movie intends to portray? Be good for goodness' sake?

Thanks for the review. Now you have me interested, too. I love movies but generally prefer live action, just because I appreciate photography. I may have to give this one a chance, though.

Should we watch out for moralism? What is the worldview that this movie intends to portray? Be good for goodness' sake?

Good question about the moralism. What's behind Scrooge's change of heart? We could discuss that for a long time, AFTER I've seen the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back