Distinguishing Grace alone and Faith alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Hi,

My intention isn't to separate them in an unhelpful way. But I'm trying to better understand the distinctions here. GRACE (alone) is the basis of our salvation (Why we're saved) and opposes merit. FAITH (alone) is the means of our salvation (How we're saved) and opposes works.

Here's my question: Does grace alone (primarily) come BOTH despite our sin AND apart from any righteousness we could offer? Or is the second aspect more to the point of what FAITH alone opposes? Does that make sense?

I've heard GRACE ALONE presented (and have done so myself) as being BOTH: 1) apart from any righteousness we could offer up to God, AND 2) despite our sin. But if faith alone primarily deals with how salvation is apart from any good works or righteousness we could offer (#1), is it then more accurate to think of grace alone as primarily being given despite our sin (#2)? IE: If faith alone serves to highlight the fact that God saves us (and keeps us saved) apart any works we could do in righteousness, would not grace alone primarily serve to highlight the fact that God saves us (and keeps us saved) despite our sin? OR is there just a good bit of overlap between the two? Make sense? Thoughts?

Grace alone (sola gratia) has reference to God's unmerited favor to sinners, to his monergistic work in accomplishing and applying the salvation won for us, and to the foreordination and all-seeing providence of the end and the means of our salvation. All of grace, beginning to end.

Faith alone (sola fide), which faculty is considered part of the gift, refers to the instrument by which one lays hold of the Christ freely offered him in the gospel. There is no other way to obtain salvation, and faith is opposed to all human working (including turning faith into a form of or alternate to merit).

Grace alone (sola gratia) has reference to God's unmerited favor to sinners, to his monergistic work in accomplishing and applying the salvation won for us, and to the foreordination and all-seeing providence of the end and the means of our salvation. All of grace, beginning to end.

Faith alone (sola fide), which faculty is considered part of the gift, refers to the instrument by which one lays hold of the Christ freely offered him in the gospel. There is no other way to obtain salvation, and faith is opposed to all human working (including turning faith into a form of or alternate to merit).

Bruce, good stuff and I definitely agree. You mentioned rightly that "faith is opposed to all human working". We're saved by faith alone--apart from works. I guess my question is: What is grace primarily opposed to?

Bruce, good stuff and I definitely agree. You mentioned rightly that "faith is opposed to all human working". We're saved by faith alone--apart from works. I guess my question is: What is grace primarily opposed to?
I would set grace, or gift, over/against any form of demand, or even any form of expectation--the last, because sinners and rebels have one expectation only apart form grace. Sinners may expect wrath, punishment, death on account of demerit.

I've sometimes heard mercy reduced (I think: reductionist) to "not getting what you deserve," whereas grace is positive: "getting something you don't deserve." That is simplistic, but it does put a little contrast on the canvas. Yet, the fact is that God makes a gift of salvation and awards it to the undeserving. He died for the ungodly, Rom.5:6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back