District 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen it? Any comments on it?
I saw it yesterday. It was a waste of money. It had a contradictory plot, and is one long stream of profanity with normal dialogue thrown in only when absolutely necessary. Lots of violence, too. I should have paid more attention to the rating - I didn't know it had a "R" rating until I left the movie. I am glad none of my kids went with me.

My wife and I went to see it the other day. However, we walked out of the theater before the movie started because the trailers were so profane. Typically the trailers are similar to the main feature.

We got our money back.

My wife and I went to see it the other day. However, we walked out of the theater before the movie started because the trailers were so profane. Typically the trailers are similar to the main feature.

We got our money back.

Wow the cinema was willing to do that? Cool.

guess I'll be the bad guy here ... I saw it and thought it was great. I didn't consider it violent. I do remember a some swears, but it didn't bother me too much. I enjoyed the message of accepting cultures different than ours and what acceptance means. Also, I know this sounds crazy, but there was a romantic sub-plot between the main character and his wife, which I enjoyed. Overall, i just thought it was a well-made movie and I especially enjoyed the different filming techniques.

-----Added 8/22/2009 at 11:32:11 EST-----

I saw it yesterday. It was a waste of money. It had a contradictory plot, and is one long stream of profanity with normal dialogue thrown in only when absolutely necessary. Lots of violence, too. I should have paid more attention to the rating - I didn't know it had a "R" rating until I left the movie. I am glad none of my kids went with me.

Where were the contradictions in the plot? I guessed I missed it.

It had more cuss words than necessary, but otherwise I really, really liked it. I enjoyed the plot.

"Cussing/Swearing": are we talking vulgarities or the taking of the Lord's name in vain?
The dialogue was as follows: <F-word> Look!<f-word>there's<f-word>an<f-word>alien! I believe I heard the Lord's name taken in vain once.

-----Added 8/22/2009 at 05:27:17 EST-----

guess I'll be the bad guy here ... I saw it and thought it was great. I didn't consider it violent. I do remember a some swears, but it didn't bother me too much. I enjoyed the message of accepting cultures different than ours and what acceptance means. Also, I know this sounds crazy, but there was a romantic sub-plot between the main character and his wife, which I enjoyed. Overall, i just thought it was a well-made movie and I especially enjoyed the different filming techniques.

-----Added 8/22/2009 at 11:32:11 EST-----

Where were the contradictions in the plot? I guessed I missed it.
Towards the end, I thought the alien's change of "heart" towards the human was a little sudden. Maybe it's because he thought the human wasn't so bad. I don't know. Maybe I got up for popcorn once too often and missed something.

Sorry for not answering your question earlier. Yes, the f-bomb was dropped far too many times, but I do not recall the Lord's name being taken in vain much if at all.

Towards the end, I thought the alien's change of "heart" towards the human was a little sudden. Maybe it's because he thought the human wasn't so bad. I don't know. Maybe I got up for popcorn once too often and missed something.

That alien seemed pretty sympathetic throughout the movie. When he realized the main guy's condition, they worked together. I did find it a bit surprising that the alien was so willing to help him even after the main guy tried to escape the planet without him, but I don't think that's a contradiction at all.

My son said they cussed in the Afrikaans dialogue as well (the S word starts with K), but Afrikaners, while cussing lots, don't use God's name in vain as often as we Americans speakers. I plan on seeing it after following the above link to Sailor's review at Takimag.

My son said they cussed in the Afrikaans dialogue as well (the S word starts with K), but Afrikaners, while cussing lots, don't use God's name in vain as often as we Americans speakers. I plan on seeing it after following the above link to Sailor's review at Takimag.

Gee, and to think how often I say O-K! :)

I thought it was excellent- no, It wasn't a Christian movie in the least, plenty of profanity, but what is? It was enjoyable in its own right.

It stood alone as an art form due to its unique genre and filming style- it was more than I could ask for.

I saw it and was not impressed. I did not catch the language though as I did not watch it in english. To me the story seemed to be one of apartheid :yawn:

I thought it was excellent- no, It wasn't a Christian movie in the least, plenty of profanity, but what is? It was enjoyable in its own right.

It stood alone as an art form due to its unique genre and filming style- it was more than I could ask for.

Yeah, I think that little piece supported by the NEA entitled "P*ss Christ" was unique in its genre and medium as well. Still doesn't prevent it from being rightly labeled as trash though...

So, what exactly was this movie about? I only saw the commercials...something about we earthlings not letting the aliens leave the planet? Was the movie trying to be sympathetic to us or the aliens? Not that I'm thinking of seeing it, considering the 150+ F-words I heard about....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back