Do Christians owe a debt to God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is specific debt language used in the Bible in relation to our response to being justified?

I can't think of anywhere the Bible uses debt language in relation to our response to being justified. It uses debt language in relation to our state prior to justification:
And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Col. 2:13-14)

I'm shocked that this thread is still going strong. "Debt" is an entirely appropriate word, unless one insists on placing it under a microscope! Do we "owe" God endless gratitude. Of course we do! That's all that is meant here by "debt." I think we're missing the forest for all the trees.

I'm shocked that this thread is still going strong. "Debt" is an entirely appropriate word, unless one insists on placing it under a microscope! Do we "owe" God endless gratitude. Of course we do! That's all that is meant here by "debt." I think we're missing the forest for all the trees.

Trevor, then be happy in the forest you choose to wander in. I prefer not to use the word debt in relation to my service to God. I don't need a microscope to see plainly.

Trevor, then be happy in the forest you choose to wander in. I prefer not to use the word debt in relation to my service to God. I don't need a microscope to see plainly.

Well Bill, I am quite content. I am sorry however, that I struck such a nerve in you.

Well Bill, I am quite content. I am sorry however, that I struck such a nerve in you.
:lol: Far from it. That was my way of telling you, "whatever floats your boat."

[bible]Romans 8:12[/bible]

No idea what this means.

I like John Gill's comment on this -

...as that they were "debtors"; which is to be understood of them not as sinners, who as such had been greatly in debt, and had nothing to pay, and were liable to the prison of hell; for no mere creature could ever have paid off their debts; but Christ has done it for them, and in this sense they were not debtors: but they were so as saints, as men freed from condemnation and death; which doctrine of Christian liberty is no licentious one; it does not exempt from obedience, but the more and greater the favours are which such men enjoy, the more obliged they are to be grateful and obey; they are debtors, or trader obligation...

What's "trader obligation"? Liked the quote, though.

I'm baffled by that terminology as well, but it was part of the quote so I included it. I googled it and came up empty. Maybe someone else here knows? :detective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back