Do first person shooter video games violate the command against murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if its a just war, its not murder. So, in Call of Duty 4, you pretend your killing terrorists. hoorah.

:lol:

I do have a problem with "dark themed" games, et. But I tell you, the Star Wars Force Unleashed game is a blast.

Also, if its a just war, its not murder. So, in Call of Duty 4, you pretend your killing terrorists. hoorah.

Grenada! And if you are playing on Hardcore then they die from just about anything without having to suffer, so that makes it a little better, right? ;)

(Everything I say is assuming that one is active in the Word, prayer, service, and has a good conscience before God)
This is an interesting issue because there are a number of factors involved. Many of them have been touched on already, such as the point that different games involve different objectives and scenarios. I don't play Grand Theft Auto because the objectives and scenarios are simply immoral. However, games that are war oriented are simply killing other people and the issue of a just or unjust war really isn't dealt with. Personally, it seems like a stretch to consider that a sin although it turns into one if it causes hatred, desensitization, or over-involvement (idolatry).

One of the things that the Lord saved me from was a video gaming addiction. I was seriously addicted to FPS games and MMORPGs, and I have experienced a lot of the hatred, desensitization, and idolatry I mentioned. The Lord rescued me from that dependence on entertainment and gave me a very important perspective: it's about balance and maintaining a good conscience because everything needs to be done for the glory of God. If you personally think it is questionable, it is probably best to be not involved in the game. And for kids, the parents should be very discerning in what games the kids are entertained with and how long they play.

One of the things that the Lord saved me from was a video gaming addiction. I was seriously addicted to FPS games and MMORPGs, and I have experienced a lot of the hatred, desensitization, and idolatry I mentioned.

Hey Andrew good point. I think we over-estimate our ability to 100% put fantasy/video games in its place without it manifesting itself in real life. If I go around killing pole my mind believes looks much like a real person, is that part of my brain going to not devalue any person and treat them poorly in word or deed? I don't think so.

Imagine an old saint sitting around playing CAll of Duty 4 after pleading with God for men's souls. Incongruent at least. Double-minded at worst.

Would it likewise be incongruent to be playing and enjoying CoD4 and using the opportunity to witness to the other players via the mic? Often the other players will just ignore you if you do that but I have been in situations where people have actually been very receptive.

God can save people any way He wants. My point was more that mature believers will find themselves pulled further away from vanity fair distractions and more towards focused effort on the field as a worker.

Depending on where a person goes with the argument, its a matter of recreation: how much, what kind, and what value? Is it of eternal worth or not?

I believe the old saint (of all ages) will apply himself more towards activities clearly for God's glory and less towards worldly pleasures.

1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."

I think it is right and good to apply the above text to our subject. Some try to argue that gaming is inherently evil or as the above brother mentioned, is worldly and vanity. We must not isolate one earthly pursuit to the exclusion of others. The same could be said of other forms of entertainments such as movies, sports, fishing, hunting, fencing, et. Simply because an activity is not evangelistic does not mean we are turning aside from Christ.

However, as the other brother mentioned, if it is a bondage to you, if you have been brought under its power, then there is a problem. There can be a tendancy in many things to be preoccupied with them and turn our attention from Christ to weak and beggarly things.

Our focus as Christians must be Christ and His glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back